Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB help, please

Old 10-26-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB help, please

Bought my jeep and it came with a CB mounted. I want to get it working. It has power, but there is no antenna. What would everyone recommend, and how to route it. My Rubicon is a 2-door and it's stock right now.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My antenna is the Firestik Firefly antenna and side mount kit from Firestik. I have a photo album that shows the setup. Go to my profile and you'll find the albums there. I love it.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a four door with a 3' firestick and the 18' cable they make. I ran the cable behind the dash down the passenger side under the carpet. The antenna is mounted on the teraflex cb antenna mount by the spare tire.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobafetske
Bought my jeep and it came with a CB mounted. I want to get it working. It has power, but there is no antenna. What would everyone recommend, and how to route it. My Rubicon is a 2-door and it's stock right now.
Cooltech LLC and Right Channel Radios both have good antenna kits for the JK that include a mount, antenna, and cable.
Whups, RCR doesn't have a kit without the radio included. Still, they sell all the individual parts.

FireStik and Wilson make what are probably the best antennas on the market. From what I understand, Wilson makes better flexible antennas and FireStik makes better solid antennas, but I'd imagine there's not a whole lot of difference between the two. The good thing is that antennas are cheap, usually around $25. So if you don't like the first one you try, it's easy enough to pick up another.

I really like the license plate mount that Cooltech sells. The only downside is that the antenna is somewhat exposed to catching on something if you pass too close. A flexible antenna would help there, or maybe an antenna spring. There's a few people who make antenna mounts that fasten to the stock tire carrier - Cooltech, Teraflex, Arizona Rocky Road to name a few. Some mount the antenna higher, some lower. Some people have reported having SWR problems if the antenna touches the spare tire though. Breedlove makes an awesome body mount (the swivel ball with the cut-down backing plate looks sweet), as well as some very nice quick disconnects that will work with other mounts.

Don't forget cable... I like the FireRing (by FireStik) cable, as it's a nice, clean system for mounting the antenna and well sealed against weather.

Personally, I'm leaning toward piecing things together using the Arizona Rocky Road mount with a 3' Wilson Flex and an 18' 2-piece FireRing cable all hooked up to a Cobra 75.

Oh, one last thing... if your radio doesn't have a SWR meter in it, pick one up so that you can tune your antenna installation. If you don't tune it and you've got a high SWR, not only might you have a really weak broadcast signal, you might burn up your radio.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

i've recently posted an arizona rocky roads install thread for my 2012 JK 4 door. I'll be getting a 3 ft firefly for it.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ntenna-Install
Old 10-27-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

i got my 3 ft firefly thinking it would be more flexible than my firestick II since they call it flexible - it's only slightly more flexible than the firestick II so i'm disappointed. i'll probably get a wilson flex3 that they say can bend in half. hopefully the third time will be a charm.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hook-Em
My antenna is the Firestik Firefly antenna and side mount kit from Firestik. I have a photo album that shows the setup. Go to my profile and you'll find the albums there. I love it.
I really like the look of that - right now mine is mounted to my Tail light guard - how did you get the cable from the license plate compartment into the interior of the Jeep?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bbolander
i got my 3 ft firefly thinking it would be more flexible than my firestick II since they call it flexible - it's only slightly more flexible than the firestick II so i'm disappointed. i'll probably get a wilson flex3 that they say can bend in half. hopefully the third time will be a charm.
learned the hard way when i opened the garage door with the 3 ft firefly installed, it flexes pretty good no damage, stilled tuned to a 1.3 swr. and i read the tuning top plastic cover on the 4 ft, and it's a firefly too. so i'm happy.

Quick Reply: CB help, please