Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Ideas. Advice from experts [PICS]

Old 01-01-2015, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased the 980 and received it two days ago. I went with the 980 for the added options. I am not a cb expert but wanted to get the most out of an expensive radio. I plan on doing the in dash mount like dark did. I also bought the Bearcat external speaker and plan on mounting it either on the soundbar or to the left of the driver's seat. For the antenna, I ran the coax through the tailgate and mounted it on the bottom bolts of the stock tire carrier. My antenna mount is nothing fancy, just an L bracket that the truck stop had when I was doing my initial install. I had a 4' antenna mounted there and got great reception out of the Cobra 29 that I borrowed from a friend. My antenna broke this year in Colorado so I have purchased a 5' Firestik and moved the mounting location to the top bolts of the tire carrier. Since I have a small, one car garage I doubt I get to install the cb until spring. In the mean time I plan on getting the radio tuned.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
I have the 980 SSB. Its been great so far. I don't pretend to be a CB expert, but here is how I mine unit installed:

I molded my CB into my dash. Saves space and works great. I opened up the CB and disconnected the internal speaker, and connected an external one. I have this mounted behind the lower dash panel below the steering wheel. I drilled holes in the panel so you can hear the sound very clearly. I don't have a picture of that though. I'm planning on molding that into the soundbar in the spring.

I mounted the antenna directly to the body to provide the best ground I could, as well provide a metal surface for the signal.

I had to sand down to the metal on the inside to make sure I had good contact. Once the antenna bracket is installed I had to repaint the inside of the body to prevent rust. You can do that by removing the foam in the wheel well and reaching up inside with the can of spray paint:

Here's the Antenna mounted up. I ran the wire through the license plate bracket, to keep it hidden and protected and to keep the install as clean as possible. I don't care for chrome... not one bit. So I plasti-dip the mount black:

I'll be interested to see how you do your external speaker in the sound bar. Your previous work is fantastic. Hopefully with a little bit of your help I can get my dash to look as good as yours.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
Thanks man. Its fair amount of work to get a CB in the dash, but its nice having it out of the way.
Of course and it looks great. Im going to start buying things in pieces and getting the mounts and everything to start the install.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rtittsworth
I'll be interested to see how you do your external speaker in the sound bar. Your previous work is fantastic. Hopefully with a little bit of your help I can get my dash to look as good as yours.
Yeah once I have some time and its a bit warmer I'll move the speaker and mold it into the sound bar.

Once your ready to dash mount your CB just let me know. I have pictures of how I did the whole thing. Im happy to give you a hand. I did the same thing honestly. I bought everything piece by piece and once I had all the parts I needed I installed it all.

Quick Reply: CB Ideas. Advice from experts [PICS]