Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Noise

Old 02-10-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AK4Dave

Not trying to be a pessimist, but don't be surprised if the new radio still picks up the noise. Are you running any aftermarket equipment ie...audio, video, computer stuff? And did you actually try any ferrites? Understand that if you can't find the source of the noise all the ferrites you put anywhere else won't fix your problem. How about the alternator.....are you sure it wasn't that?
When it comes to CB radios pessimism is par for the course, so I take no offense haha.
I know that the chance of me picking up noise are likely but I believe the better product will help. I can't even use the current rig due to noise.
As for ferrites, yes I have them run on everything at this moment. I have it narrowed down to the fuel pump as the most likely source due to the off key and on key.
Regardless it is keeping my mind occupied while the weather still sucks.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well known issue with the "in the tank" fuel pumps on many vehicles. This fix worked on my friends Toyota. Cheep and easy, you might give it a try..
Home Made RFI Filter
http://97vette.com/sporttrac/rfi_fix/rfi_fix.html

Last edited by ChuckMRN; 02-11-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: unautherized link i'm sure, sorry
Old 02-11-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Dagley918
When it comes to CB radios pessimism is par for the course, so I take no offense haha.
I know that the chance of me picking up noise are likely but I believe the better product will help. I can't even use the current rig due to noise.
As for ferrites, yes I have them run on everything at this moment. I have it narrowed down to the fuel pump as the most likely source due to the off key and on key.
Regardless it is keeping my mind occupied while the weather still sucks.
Granted quality, or "better" quality radios do have better components and filtering as well. So you may get lucky. Most HAM rigs have noise blankers that many times will block certain rfi, but some they won't. Thus the added expense of a better radio.

edit: Just read the article about the homemade RFI choke. This is exactly what I was talking about. EXCEPT I said ferrites, when I should have said toroids. My bad for sure....for some stupid reason I was thinking ferrite. I was thinking one thing and typing another. It's been a long time since I've used either, so I do apologize. But I too have used these: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103979 like the article suggests a number of times myself with good success. I actually still have one in my HAM shack at this time. The other link I posted to "Amadon", and the kits they have also have the toroid material. If your new radio doesn't take care of the noise then you may have to go this route. It should work.

Good Luck....

Last edited by AK4Dave; 02-11-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Granted quality, or "better" quality radios do have better components and filtering as well. So you may get lucky. Most HAM rigs have noise blankers that many times will block certain rfi, but some they won't. Thus the added expense of a better radio.

edit: Just read the article about the homemade RFI choke. This is exactly what I was talking about. EXCEPT I said ferrites, when I should have said toroids. My bad for sure....for some stupid reason I was thinking ferrite. I was thinking one thing and typing another. It's been a long time since I've used either, so I do apologize. But I too have used these: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103979 like the article suggests a number of times myself with good success. I actually still have one in my HAM shack at this time. The other link I posted to "Amadon", and the kits they have also have the toroid material. If your new radio doesn't take care of the noise then you may have to go this route. It should work.

Good Luck....
You don't happen to know which color wire is ground and which is positive? I've been searching online for wiring diagrams with no such luck unless I drove a TJ.
Before I drop this fuel tank I'd like to have an idea. I can pre-build the filter then do the drop and splice. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Jedi

You don't happen to know which color wire is ground and which is positive? I've been searching online for wiring diagrams with no such luck unless I drove a TJ.
Before I drop this fuel tank I'd like to have an idea. I can pre-build the filter then do the drop and splice. Thanks!
I have no idea about the wiring. But are you sure you have to drop the tank? Can't you just trace the wires from the tank to a place close by where you can install the filter?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have no idea about the wiring. But are you sure you have to drop the tank? Can't you just trace the wires from the tank to a place close by where you can install the filter?
I'm trying to get as close to the pump as possible and with the tank being so long there is about 2'-3' of wiring on top of the tank.
You however make a great point in trying it further down before going through the hassle.
I still need to find which wire is which though. The wiring runs together down the passenger side then across the top of the fuel tank.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm trying to get as close to the pump as possible and with the tank being so long there is about 2'-3' of wiring on top of the tank.
You however make a great point in trying it further down before going through the hassle.
I still need to find which wire is which though. The wiring runs together down the passenger side then across the top of the fuel tank.
this is what I would do.
find where you want to splice in the filter and take a needle or pin like object and poke thru the insulation into the wire and see which wire is positive and which is ground. This shouldn't hurt the wire and when you go to splice in the filter your going to cut it there anyhow.

just a thought..
Old 02-14-2012, 07:03 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
this is what I would do.
find where you want to splice in the filter and take a needle or pin like object and poke thru the insulation into the wire and see which wire is positive and which is ground. This shouldn't hurt the wire and when you go to splice in the filter your going to cut it there anyhow.

just a thought..
I have a dc "juice" finder that has a needle type tip and a light that will go on when you find the positive. They are pretty inexpensive...
Old 02-14-2012, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a dc "juice" finder that has a needle type tip and a light that will go on when you find the positive. They are pretty inexpensive...
I thought about that last night. I figure between that and maybe pulling the fuel pump fuse I can track which wire is the positive and the ground obviously would be the one without power at all.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well the new Cobra 29and Tuffy overhead console are in. The noise is less than with the Midland but I'm still not happy. Guess its now on to bonding and installing the noise filter. Planned on the filter last weekend but ran out of time after I took so long on the console install.
I love the look however the metal pin that holds the door up is broken. Talking with the guys at Tuffy now to solve the issue.
This just means more fiddling time and I'm fine with that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3198372146.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	283687  

Quick Reply: CB Noise