Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Noise

Old 02-03-2012, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CB Noise

So I did my install about a month ago and have been messing with it off and on trying to clear up all my engine noise coming over my channels. Tonight I really went over the system and my WWW/Google knowledge is tapped out.

My setup-
-Midland 1001z (mounted above rear view mirror)
-CoolTech Ultra Mount
-18' coax (Ran up through wiper hose rubber grommet and through rollbar padding to front of Jeep)
-4' firestick

List of things done-
1. Ran ground strap from Ultramount to frame.
2. Shortened ground to inside firewall screw. (As seen on Project JK install)
3. Tuned SWR within range
4. Shortened power wire to just reach positive terminal on battery.

I have read about the JK being an extra noisy vehicle when it comes to electrical interference. So far it is proving to be the case. I'm having to turn my squelch up so high that unless the rig I'm talking to is on my bumper I can't hear a thing!

Any advise would be appreciated. I realize that CBs are a beast to perfect but I'm not looking for perfect just better than the high pitch whine of my alternator...or plugs...or fuel pump....or windshield wiper motor...

Thanks guys.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to be clear... does the noise go away when you have the key turned on but the engine off?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I built this simple noise filter and it helps.

home.comcast.net/~jbperkins/alternator_whine_filter/

Also some radios have better filtering circuits than others. With all of the electronics in the JK it can be difficult to track down where the noise is coming from.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Usually when you get engine noise through a stereo it is a ground problem . For stereos we used a ground loop isolator to fix it. It would usually show up on the AM channels more. Maybe you could get something similar for a CB or try to improve the ground.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sparkplug
Just to be clear... does the noise go away when you have the key turned on but the engine off?
Yes sir and I get no noise with the antenna coax removed so I assume my antenna is picking up the noise.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sparkplug
This.....

Does it go away when you shut off the engine?

Does it go away when you Disconnect the antenna?

Try combos of that.

Where is your negative run and do you have a pic of your mount to see if you put the isolation washer on the TOP side or bottom?
Old 02-04-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpaulson

This.....

Does it go away when you shut off the engine?

Does it go away when you Disconnect the antenna?

Try combos of that.

Where is your negative run and do you have a pic of your mount to see if you put the isolation washer on the TOP side or bottom?

Does it go away when you shut off the engine? Yes

Does it go away when you Disconnect the antenna? Haven't unhooked just the antenna from the mount.

I don't have a pic but can take one. It's inside the license plate housing so I'll have to pull it. The Ultamount came preassembled so I assumed it was correct. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

where are you getting power from? Run a temp wire straight from the + of the battery to the radio, see if that changes the problem.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had the same issue with my cb. Pick up a couple ferrite core noise suppressors from amazon or any electronics store and install one around the antenna cable and one around the power and ground wires. The closer to the cb the better. This will eliminate most of the noise. Your mileage may vary.

Tony...
Old 02-04-2012, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I too need to turn the Squelch all the way up to prevent a surge sound coming through, I have mine wired direct to + and - on the battery. Same thing ran a seperate ground from tailgate , when I remove the antenna noise is gone or if I touch the top of the antenna noise goes away

Quick Reply: CB Noise