Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Noise

Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for those of you still with me on this, the filter was a bust. Did very little if anything. Talked to another forum member arjeeper and he directed me to try coiling the extra coax and install the ferrite beads there.
so I took the filter apart and used the square ferriites. Coiled the coax tightly and got 4-5 loops through each. Also placed one more bead up near the head unit.
This has made an improvement in the right direction. I still have the fuel pump/RFI noise but it is quieter.
Next stop more beads? I'm not sure but for any of you that have the extra foot or so of coax. Coil that bastard up and ferrite the hell out of it!
Cheers
Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been told by several radio techs not to coil the coax.. Always loosely loop it when you have a excess
Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Smizar
I've been told by several radio techs not to coil the coax.. Always loosely loop it when you have a excess
It's fine to coil. Ideally, a large looping coil, but in a mobile environment very little is ideal. Coiling the coax allows you to use a couple ferrites over multiple runs of coax, significantly increasing the common-mode chocking force of the ferrite. It is also possible the coax coil could have some additional chocking effect.

For an absolute wealth of knowledge about mobile radio installations, google K0BG. He has a superb website covering many aspects of mobile operation, including noise.

Last edited by arjeeper; 05-02-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have you tried fliping the FireRing 180 degrees

You might want to check out this FireRing Stud Mount Installation
It looks like you have everything in the right place from your earlier post. The fire ring has 2 distinct sides and the raised side should face the mounting surface. I would try flipping it and see if that helps.

Here is another page explaining it
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/tr...na-stud-washer

Last edited by Rooster76; 05-02-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dagley918
Yes sir and I get no noise with the antenna coax removed so I assume my antenna is picking up the noise.
What you really need to do in this instance is to ground
the outer,(metal) jacket of your coax antenna from both ends.
The ground should be clean of any other connections,( by it's self.)
And to the Frame of the vehicle if possible.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the new info is well received gents. I will continue to battle and try anything at least once. (insert dirty joke here) Already plan on more grounding and bonding. Bought some more ferrites today. They should get here next week. In between I'll work on some of these other ideas. Thanks guys.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess I'm just lucky but I twisted a lighter jack plug on my power wires and plug it in the lighter jack when I need to use it. I use a magnet antenna and have no noise what-so-ever. Maybe hooking up to the battery is causing all of your noise. I'm using a Uniden 520 xl and have used the radio with the power plug in two jeeps now without noise. I had a firestik on the last jeep and didn't have any noise on it either.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

I know this thread is 6 years old but did the CB noise issue ever get resolved? I am having the *exact* same issue on my 2016 JKU with a Uniden CMX760. It's RFI entering the antenna. I've tried everything I can think of.

I haven't actually tried choking the fuel pump wires, but after reading this thread I'm not too optimistic about that.

Quick Reply: CB Noise