Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Questions for everyone!

Old 05-18-2017, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Questions for everyone!

Currently have a Uniden PRO510XL, 18" COAX Cable, 90 Deg Coax into the Spring, quick connect and a 4' Firestick. Have the antenna mounted to the rear bumper on the passengers side. Have it hooked directly to battery Pos and Neg.

1. Have a buzz in the speaker, and then when I put in Reverse have a loud buzz. Suggestions to get rid of the Buzz

2. If I put a longer antenna it whips pretty bad in the wind driving on the highway. Any suggestions on something to attached to the Jeep to keep it from bouncing around real bad?

3. Suggestions best way to tune the antenna?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Running direct to the battery is the right way to wire cb / ham radios.

As far as noise getting back into speaker, it is probably stray RF. Order some ferrite beads to clip around power and coax wires. That should help.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coolhand129

As far as noise getting back into speaker, it is probably stray RF. Order some ferrite beads to clip around power and coax wires. That should help.
Thanks sir.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coolhand129

Another question. Looking for ferrite beads, but there are like 5 sizes. I have a standard size coax, suggestions to get lile a 5mm or 9mm etc. Thanks
Old 05-18-2017, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clarification, no ferrite chokes on the coax. These chokes inhibit radio frequencies. Ferrite goes on D.C. Power wires and audio cables to help prevent RF from traveling down them.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texascodmw3
Clarification, no ferrite chokes on the coax. These chokes inhibit radio frequencies. Ferrite goes on D.C. Power wires and audio cables to help prevent RF from traveling down them.
Thanks sir
Old 05-20-2017, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Absolutely Ferrite chocked on coax. Stray RF comes back into "the shack" on the outside of the coax. I would get the large size and make at least 3 loops through the ferrite bead.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hermesgrafix
Currently have a Uniden PRO510XL, 18" COAX Cable, 90 Deg Coax into the Spring, quick connect and a 4' Firestick. Have the antenna mounted to the rear bumper on the passengers side. Have it hooked directly to battery Pos and Neg.

1. Have a buzz in the speaker, and then when I put in Reverse have a loud buzz. Suggestions to get rid of the Buzz

2. If I put a longer antenna it whips pretty bad in the wind driving on the highway. Any suggestions on something to attached to the Jeep to keep it from bouncing around real bad?

Thanks for any help.
1. Do you get the buzz when receiving or when transmitting (or both) ? Does the buzz occur when the engine is off?

2. Is the longer whip all metal or fiberglass? I think fiberglass whips around less; using a tennis ball on it will help keep it from clanking the back of your rig.

3. Use an SWR meter, ideally one that shows forward and refelected power

PS. Anytime you connect power directly to the battery, it's best to have a fuse inline close to the battery (maybe you do already?). This will prevent your rig from getting burnt up in the event the wires to your CB get pinched/shorted between your battery and the CB fuse.

Last edited by ShawnInPaso; 05-20-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a capacitive filter to ground in the power supply line from the battery to the CB.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:24 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Do you have something non-stock for reverse lamps, or something that comes on while in reverse? If yes, disconnect and see if the buzz goes away. If something is generating lots of RF (especially close to the antenna), ferrite chokes on radio power wires probably won't help.

SWR meter is what you need for antenna tuning. Firestick has instructions for antenna tuning on their website, and grounding of the antenna mount is important.

As a side note, I switched to a 2' firestick mounted on the spare tire mount (including tailgate grounding wire) with a spring + quick disconnect. It works surprisingly well even though only about 2" is above the roof line. No worries with tree branches, wind, or garages. Since it's on a quick disconnect it can be swapped for a longer antenna in a few seconds, but haven't had the need to.

Originally Posted by hermesgrafix

Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply: CB Questions for everyone!