Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB rabio Kit HELP?

Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB rabio Kit HELP?

Hello all,

I decided it's time to install a CB with a PA in my 2007 JKUS and wanted help putting together a check list of things to get. I don't need top of the line equipment. Just good working stuff. I was considering the Uniden 520xl radio and a 3' firestik?

Is this what most people are using? pre-tunned tip, tunable tip or perhaps another brand?
Is a SWR necessary? and it is something I need to mount or is it just to tune the antenna the it's not used again?
Would buying a used SWR (if needed) be the way to go?
What is the recommended antenna wire length for a 4dr? Quick disconnect? Spring? Mounting bracket? What are you using?
Thanks
Tom
Old 04-15-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Many other things to consider... But first things first.. YES, u need an swr meter.. If not at least borrow one from time to time. Antenna is going to be more of a personal preference - I use a firestik and it gets the job done. If u don't tune it, don't broadcast!! Listening is ok, but if you don't tune it, and broadcast, you may burn up the internals prematurely
Old 04-15-2013, 10:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Oh- btw, I use a 5ft (bracket sold separately) on my bumper and I retune if if I switch from soft to hard top. Anytime you change the antennas surroundings, it changes the swr / sometimes slightly, sometimes drastically. Also, depending on the type of use - mounting location should be considered on that. Mines for offroad trail use so the signal pattern isn't that big of a deal.. If u plan on getting that signal out further like truck drivers do... Take time to really research a good location.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. I'm not really planning to use the CB much when not on trails. But using the PA to tell
people that the accelerator pedal is the one on the right be the most highway or street use. lol
As far as mounting, I did a little research and
it seems like the spare tire mount is the worst
place to put it but I see so many people put them there? I thought a mount sticking out above the
taillight would be best. above the body for the connector.

What about springs and quick discos? both, one or the other? I definitely like the idea of being able to pop it off to get in and out of the garages.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't have either. I use a strap when entering parking garages. Like last week I was in Vegas, I had to use a small strap to hold it over (tied to the tow hitch). Not a big deal for me, but if u parked in a garage often, I imagine this would get old really fast. As far as between the tire and rear window... Ya, I've read that thread as well.. It seems to work well for trail communication. I "assume" the guys who stress that are CB/Ham radio enthusiast and really want to get their signals broadcasted further than the normal Joe. The taillight mount or license plate bracket has some pros and cons. u can drive with your rear window open (hardtop) But it is probably more exposed for damage on a trail.. Either mount will work for your needs I'm sure..
Old 04-16-2013, 04:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spring is nice so the antenna has a little bit of extra give when you're banging it off branches, but in my opinion the disconnect isn't so great (or at least not the firestick one); it was always easier for me to just unscrew the antenna then to have to push down and twist just right to get the disconnect off - and in my case, one time I took it off, accidentally dropped the antenna, and it must have landed on the end of the disconnect just right and bent it because it would never go back on again - didn't appear bent, but it would not slide back on (just tossed it and haven't looked back since).

On my wife's JK, she has to park in a garage at work a few days out of the week and was getting tired of taking hers off/on all the time. So on hers we re-mounted the spare mount bracket on the lower drivers side (so the bracket was inverted), and used a 4ft Wilson Flex. It just cleared the hard top by about 2-3 inches, and with that antenna even if it hit it was just going to easily bend out of the way - of course this setup was in no way ideal for range, but it always worked good out on the trails, and can tell from road trips/mile markers that we at least got 1-1.5 mile range out of it.

Though as a side note, the wilson flex worked fine on hers... but for some reason that antenna would not work well with mine. Same bracket, but in the "standard/correct" orientation, and I have a trektop whereas she had factory hardtop, but tried two of them that I could just not get to tune (always either around 2, else it woud read long or short with one end at best around 1.6 and the other 2.5+); Firestick tuned right up on mine with no problem.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr. Sizzle
Hello all,

I decided it's time to install a CB with a PA in my 2007 JKUS and wanted help putting together a check list of things to get. I don't need top of the line equipment. Just good working stuff. I was considering the Uniden 520xl radio and a 3' firestik?

Is this what most people are using? pre-tunned tip, tunable tip or perhaps another brand?
Is a SWR necessary? and it is something I need to mount or is it just to tune the antenna the it's not used again?
Would buying a used SWR (if needed) be the way to go?
What is the recommended antenna wire length for a 4dr? Quick disconnect? Spring? Mounting bracket? What are you using?
Thanks
Tom

Read this thread i found it very helpful.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...r-jeep-227276/
Old 04-18-2013, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the feedback.

That link was really informative. I'm leaning towards a third brake light mount. Keeps it above
the body line and tube of the jeep and above the
spare. Also has a wider grounding plane. With
all the info I've gathered I feel this will work/look best. Adding a Wilson silver load to that.
I really like the Olympic rear light bar too.
Driving in reverse at night is super hard.
I can't see nothing.
With the ability to add aux lights back there,
that can come in real handy.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

I suggest you this kit:

Uniden 510 Jeep & Off-Road CB Kit | Right Channel Radios

there is all that you need, include SWR meter. You can also choose your cb radio and antenna length.

Last edited by antonio_crd; 04-18-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks a good deal on a kit.

Still haven't pulled the trigger. The olympic light bar on works if you have a tire carrier and work work with stock spare mount so for now that option is out. Arizona Rocky River mount seems
like the next best option.

One thing I'm kinda wondering is, I heard the
18' coax is barely long enough for a 4 dr?
I found a 20' antenna cable on eBay and wonder
if its better to use that for extra slack? Or will the
extra 2' make it harder to tune?