Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Radio - Coaxial Hookup, How to?

Old 09-19-2008, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Radio - Coaxial Hookup, How to?

I'm trying to hook up my Cobra WX75 with the northridge kit, but I can't figure out how to make this connector on the open end of the coaxial cable, any suggestions/pictures? Thanks, this is what I have..

Old 09-19-2008, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is usually a sleeve that you crimp. First you slide the sleeve over the coax as well as the weather shielding (the black rubber boot), and move them out of the way from the end of the coax, next you strip the end of the coax as you've done. Last, insert the copper core of the coax into the end piece, then slide the missing sleeve up to the end piece, and crim the sleeve onto the end. That secures the PL259 end onto the coax. Then spin on the last part of the end, ans slide up the weather shield. Text really does no justice to explaining what you need to do.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

scissorz - here's what you do:

first put on the rubber boot and slide it down a bit. It's just a cover for later. he narrow end goes on first. Then you'll put that outer sleeve on the wire and also move it down and out of the way.

Next you'll put the wire up and into the main connector. You'll want to fill up the side holes and end with solder using a soldering gun. It's a bit of pain, but just takes a bit of patience. Once its filled and solid, you twist that sleeve on -- it first secures to your main connector then will secure your connector to your CB base unit.

Feel free to PM me or ask if you need any other clarification.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Ugh, I was told it was solderless, I tried to make sure cus I suck with a solder gun. I'll give it a shot tomorrow, thanks for the help.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Return it and go for the Cooltech piece. Just installed mine today and it was easy. The kit is great!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08UnlimitedSahara810
Return it and go for the Cooltech piece. Just installed mine today and it was easy. The kit is great!!!
Do you have a Link?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.cooltechllc.com/

As for soldering... It's a piece of cake. The main rule of thumb is to heat up what you need to solder, first.

So, put the soldering iron near the holes first, and let it sit for a minute, then just apply the solder there. It should get warm enough to melt the solder without touching the iron to the solder.... Works very well.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Soldering isnt hard, but that is not solderless - it's the firering/stud. I think cooltech uses the same setup, they just solder it for you.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nota4re
A year or more ago we used this similar connector. However, the Cool Tech kit now has a mini-UHF connector on the "CB End" of the coax. The diameter of the mini-UHF connector is not that much larger than the cable itself and so it can be routed through the interior grommet quite easily. Once routed, the Cool Tech kit has a screw-on mini-UHF to PL-259 adapter. This is a pretty cool adapter as the mini-UHF screws up into the PL-259 so it looks just like a PL-259 on the end of the cable. No soldering.
This is what I bought. The smaller mini-UHF connector was a perfect fit through the rear rubber brake grommet. If I had a PL-259 on the end I don't know how I would have been able to route the cable.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Go with a crimp

radioshack.com/sm-no-crimp-solderless-pl-259-plug--pi-2103247.htm

These work fine. Been using them for years with no problems.

Last edited by JackMac4; 05-27-2009 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: CB Radio - Coaxial Hookup, How to?