Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB trouble

Old 05-14-2013, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB trouble

Please help! I installed my CB a week ago. I can receive but for some reason nobody can hear me. Anybody know what my fix is?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

How close are you to an interstate? Did you try asking on channel 19 for a radio check?

Also how is your SWR?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by desync0
How close are you to an interstate? Did you try asking on channel 19 for a radio check?

Also how is your SWR?

I do have an interstate close by. I haven't tried the channel 19 yet. I will have that opportunty this weekend.

The SWR meter on my CB is saying it's good although I understand that those readings may not be real accurate.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stump55
I do have an interstate close by. I haven't tried the channel 19 yet. I will have that opportunty this weekend.

The SWR meter on my CB is saying it's good although I understand that those readings may not be real accurate.

You will be able to receive many stations in the distance but it is normal for you not to be able to contact them. This is due to either natural conditions or the fact that the other stations are "high powered". You really do need some local radio checks from truckers or local CB'ers in the area. Do not be discouraged! BTW what radio and antenna are you using.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

19 near a highway is your best bet, if you tried 6 or 11 atmospheric conditions have been good lately, and those guys all run hundreds or thousands watts and they're all hundreds or thousands of miles away.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by conifers4

You will be able to receive many stations in the distance but it is normal for you not to be able to contact them. This is due to either natural conditions or the fact that the other stations are "high powered". You really do need some local radio checks from truckers or local CB'ers in the area. Do not be discouraged! BTW what radio and antenna are you using.
I have a Cobra 19 DX with a 4' firestik antenna mounted on my tail gate.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

How about going to a local CB shop. They are bound to have a base unit. Start transmitting to them while watching your mileage. Then you will have a basic idea what your range is.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont trust the meter on the radio. Those are more for incoming signals thsn what you put out.
Find someone with a SWR meter and have them check what yours is.
Chances are the setup needs to be adjusted.
JMHO.

Quick Reply: CB trouble