Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cobra 148 GTL

Old 12-14-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Cobra 148 GTL

I just purchased a Cobra 148GTL w/SSB. I have been using this as a base in my upper bedroom and have been receiving and transmitting clearly at 7 to 8 miles with a max of 10 miles tonight with a truck on I-88. I am using a 4ft Vanco flex and antenna mount C-clamped to my metal file cabinet. Last night a fellow CBer with a base was amazed at this set-up. I really like this radio because it has a built-in SWR Calibration feature. My SWR is around 1.5. AK4Dave, thanks for suggesting getting SSB. I can see where this is a great added feature if you need that extra PEP. I am powering up my CB with a Radio Shack AC to DC converter. I cannot wait to a mount this unit on my JKU. I am thinking of building my own version of the Arizona CB Mount, but making it easier to remove. Has anyone done this yet?

AK4Dave, I also tried my Royce last night and it transmitted the same distance but the receiver said it sounded off-frequency. Is there a way I can fix this? I would like to use this as my base after I install the Cobra. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My goal is to get my Tech License in 2012 and moving into the HAM arena.

MI-litaria

Last edited by MI-litaria; 12-14-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-litaria

AK4Dave, I also tried my Royce last night and it transmitted the same distance but the receiver said it sounded off-frequency. Is there a way I can fix this? I would like to use this as my base after I install the Cobra. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My goal is to get my Tech License in 2012 and moving into the HAM arena.
Is the Royce ssb as well? If it is and you were talking to this guy on ssb, then possibily HE was the one that was off freq. If you were in AM, then have you had anybody else say it sounded off freq.? If you haven't then I wouldn't worry about it unless you get more people saying that. One person isn't worth doing anything because the guy would have to know what you sound like normally to be able to make that determination. But if it needs to be calibrated then yes, there should be adjustments inside. Should be fairly easy to somebody that knows the guts of these radios. Or you may be able to find some schematics online. Also understand that some of the older radios used to not stabilize on freq. till they were really warmed up. Or vica/vers....they would move off freq. after heating up or tx'ing for awhile.

Quick Reply: Cobra 148 GTL