Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cobra 29 screen wont change

Old 03-15-2015, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra 29 screen wont change

Just installed a Cobra 29 lx led display above the rear view mirror on my jkur. Power is from the battery. Ground is by the passenger side kick panel. It turns on and i can get the weather channels (haven't tried the other stations). I cant see the display. I can see it and its lit up but everything is lit up and wont change visually. Any idea whats going on? If i hold the cb at a extreme angle i can read it. I have no idea whats going on. I'll get picks
Old 03-15-2015, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3992253215.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	601436

Name:	image-2126034250.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	601437

The first one is how i see it from thw drivers seat the second is how it looks if you look at it from like 90*. You can see the screen works but the back light is too bright. Changing the brightness dosent help

Last edited by anviljk; 03-15-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by anviljk
Attachment 601436

Attachment 601437

The first one is how i see it from thw drivers seat the second is how it looks if you look at it from like 90*. You can see the screen works but the back light is too bright. Changing the brightness dosent help
That's strange. I have mine in an overhead console and it does this too but it's sort of the opposite. I would try angling the cb down more and different angles. IT has to be something with the design of the screen.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK505
That's strange. I have mine in an overhead console and it does this too but it's sort of the opposite. I would try angling the cb down more and different angles. IT has to be something with the design of the screen.
I would agree it has to do with the angle of the screen, however, even looking at it head on or any other position other then putting your face right beside it or above/blow you still can't see anything. Even when you can get in to the position to see it its barely legible.

I tried adjusting the contrast and there is no noticeable change in it. Im going to call Cobra tomorrow to see what they say.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

I would agree it has to do with the angle of the screen, however, even looking at it head on or any other position other then putting your face right beside it or above/blow you still can't see anything. Even when you can get in to the position to see it its barely legible.

I tried adjusting the contrast and there is no noticeable change in it. Im going to call Cobra tomorrow to see what they say.
That'd be my next move. I can't read mine unless I pick my head up and lean back a bit (not really a big deal to select the channel of the day) but you're is much more extreme. I doubt this will help but have you tried a different display color?
Old 03-15-2015, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

That'd be my next move. I can't read mine unless I pick my head up and lean back a bit (not really a big deal to select the channel of the day) but you're is much more extreme. I doubt this will help but have you tried a different display color?
Yeap. Amber or red is the best. Blue/green is too much. I tried changing the brightness all the way down and up. Helps a little but not enough to make note. Tried changing the contrast but that doesn't seam to do anything. Same with dim mode.

Like you said i dont care if i have to adjust my head a little to see, but this is too extreme.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeap. Amber or red is the best. Blue/green is too much. I tried changing the brightness all the way down and up. Helps a little but not enough to make note. Tried changing the contrast but that doesn't seam to do anything. Same with dim mode.

Like you said i dont care if i have to adjust my head a little to see, but this is too extreme.
Agreed. I'm interested to see how Cobra handles this. I know I have a similar problem polarized sunglasses but if the screen is rotated its clear as day. I wonder if they installed the screen incorrectly somehow. At any rate, please keep us (me lol) updated, I'm curious of the outcome.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

Agreed. I'm interested to see how Cobra handles this. I know I have a similar problem polarized sunglasses but if the screen is rotated its clear as day. I wonder if they installed the screen incorrectly somehow. At any rate, please keep us (me lol) updated, I'm curious of the outcome.
If they say its not an issue on their end and amount issue i will just return it to amazon and buy the other model. Funny you mention about the polarized glasses. I actually took my glasses off thinking it was some type of uv filter haha. Also thought that maybe I didn't remove the screen sticker (I did). I'll keep the thread updated.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Well, I tried calling Cobra. The customer service rep couldn't help me and would only transfer me to a technical hotline (apparently theres only one guy in that department), who doesn't pick up. I left a message to call me back. Hopefully I get a response.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Just an update. Went out today before work and messed with the settings. I was able to get it visible. Not sure what happened but it works now and is clear.

Name:	image-1558581401.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	601534

Quick Reply: Cobra 29 screen wont change