Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cobra 75

Old 10-09-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scooterferret
I like your set up and Im trying to do a similar one. I went with the kit from Right Channel Radio and have everything installed but I am wondering about the ground for the antenna. Is it necessary for this kit?
Yes. You need to ground all electronics. Either make sure your antenna base is solidly grounded or you'll have to run a ground wire to bare metal to assure proper grounding.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a Cobra 75 that has been sitting in my garage for awhile into my JK this weekend. I mounting the power box behind the glovebox and just let the cord come out of the bottom corner of the glovebox. This way there are no holes to drill. I got a body mount from a
local CB shop so I could mount a 4' antenna to the license plate housing, this allows the coax to be totally hidden. It is less than a foot above the roofline. I still need to get the SWR set, but it seems to work well as it is.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1482_op_800x1204.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	221351  
Old 10-10-2011, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Cobra 75 is not an ideal CB if you're looking to get maximum possible CB performance. The thing is that maximum possible (legal) CB performance isn't really all that much better than what you can get out of a Cobra 75. The quality of your Coax probably has as much to do with CB performance as the type of CB. The antenna that you use, how you mount it, and how you tune it is probably 5 to 10 times more important to CB performance than which CB you choose.

I've been running a Cobra 75 since 2008. I had one problem when a poorly soldered connection from the factory started letting go inside the connection between the hand unit and the junction box - but that's a VERY easy fix. On the whole, I'm 100% satisfied with the way the CB performs, and very happy with the way that it disconnects and stores out of the way when I'm not using it. I wheel with guys that run a wide variety of Uniden, Cobra, and Galaxy CB's...and I am confident in saying that a reasonable quality "basic" CB that is installed competently with a well grounded and properly tuned antenna will vastly outperform any legal CB ever built if the antenna is not mounted properly or the mount is not properly grounded.

One of the guys I wheel with was using a "cell phone" style mag mount antenna. He was barely intelligible when he transmitted, and even with the squelch turned down, you couldn't hear him if he was more than 1/4 mile away. I gave him a shopping list of parts (about $30 worth), and then went over to his place one evening. He now has a 4' Wilson Flex antenna properly mounted to the center of his roof (he drives an XJ) with a spring and QD stud. The same CB that he was so frustrated with earlier now outperforms 90% of the CB's in our group. The only guys that have CB's that outperform his are running stainless 9' whips.

Quick Reply: Cobra 75