Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cobra 75 install done...

Old 09-05-2011, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra 75 install done...

Wow, that's an easy install. The antenna install took all of twenty minutes and the radio and coax maybe twice that much time.

I ended up going with a Wilson tunable antenna only because I wanted to buy from a local shop and they didn't carry FireStik. The owner agreed to tune for me but I set the tip at about half it's adjustment range and distance, based on the few checks I got, was about 4 - 6 miles.

I am considering rewiring so I have dual power sources....

Last edited by MikekiM; 09-05-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check antenna with an SWR meter? You need to check and SWR should be 1.5 or lower or you can cause harm to radio. I have seen them burn up due to wrong SWR. The radios will talk even better once set
Old 09-05-2011, 04:56 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Let's see some pics

I'll be installing the same radio soon but not before I finish installing my secondary fuse block and then finishing up wiring my lightforce 170's.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DaK
Post up some pics when you get done. I am interested in how you ran your cables and mounted everything. Been looking at this unit for awhile, might be time to pull the trigger and git r done as I am tired of dealing with the hand held.
There are a few pics of the antenna install in my albums here. I have some pics of the rest of install, ut frankly, it's about as basic of an install as one could find.. not much harder than doing the side marker light mod.

Power comes through the fire wall from the battery.
Ground is on the tub at the passenger foot well.

Unit is behind the glove box.

Antenna snakes along the passenger rocker. There are three or four plastic nut-serts that need to be removed to have access to the where the harness is snaked.. Out the back under the plastic trim on the gate and through the previously unused rubber grommet in the gate to the right of the spare.

Incredibly easy to install.

Originally Posted by cru9
Did you check antenna with an SWR meter? You need to check and SWR should be 1.5 or lower or you can cause harm to radio. I have seen them burn up due to wrong SWR. The radios will talk even better once set
If you read my original post, I noted the vendor is going help with the SWR meter.. He is a CB shop exclusively so he'll get it right.

Originally Posted by MFX
Let's see some pics

I'll be installing the same radio soon but not before I finish installing my secondary fuse block and then finishing up wiring my lightforce 170's.
See above... Not to many pics of the install. I have a tendency of getting caught up in the pics and it makes the job twice as long. Plus there are a gojilliion pics of the Cobra 75 install floating around this forum.

Only thing left to do is hard mount the remote unit which I left loose so we could more easily get the SWR meter on it.

Quick Reply: Cobra 75 install done...