Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cobra LX LE 50th Ann.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra LX LE 50th Ann.

Has anyone had any experience with these CB's I'm looking to purchase one. Next week. I want a high quality one time buy CB. Throw out a couple suggestions if someone recommends a different CB. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:36 AM
JK Junkie

I run the Cobra Aniv CB and it works fine for me but i did have a bad experience with it already. When i first ordered my CB i got it in the mail and immediately installed it, i had some help from a fellow JK (Gcollura) member. Turned out that i got a defective unit from the factory and was given great customer service by the store from whom i bought it from (Walcott) and was mailed a new one with an apology.

Since getting my new CB ive had zero problems, i was even caught in the rain with the top off my JK while i was inside my house having dinner it took my at least an hour in the rain before i realized that i had my top down on my JK. When i went out to inspect my JK and the CB, i loosened the bracket and tilted the CB down to wipe it down and had so much water fall down on me that it looked like i pissed on myself. I wiped the radio down and have had zero problems till this day.

When i sent my CB back i posted it here on the forum and it turned out that i wasn't the only one with a defective CB unit. Turns out that Cobra had some early 50th ANIV units with problems, hopefully Cobra has resolved this issue. I haven't heard about any more problems and i haven't had any more problems.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-11-17_13-50-05_504.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	126757   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-11-17_13-58-48_782.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	126758  
Old 02-13-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got one as well. No issues for me, once I adjusted my antenna correctly that is. If you want one go for it, but probably sooner rather than later. Another member here was recently on the market for one and had a hell of a time finding one. They were a limited run and not too many are left in the retailers hands at this point.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I picked one of these up to replace my Midland 1001Z. I tested mine for a couple of days and really liked it. I'm going to mount it on the Arizona Rocky Road overhead mount like I've seen so many others on this forum have already. Its a cool unit and full size.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Mine's in the mail, but I haven't decided how to mount it yet. How easy is it to use when it's mounted on the ARR crossbar? It seems pretty far back, like it would be difficult to see the display from that angle. But it's hard to tell from any photos I've seen.

Besides a cross bar solution, what else is there? I've seen mounts against the outside of the center console, but that won't work for the 2011.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made a couple brackets to drop the radio down and slide it closer to the windshield. Before I made those the face was about 2 inches away from my face witht the arr bar mounted at the door surround bolts. Here's a pic with the brackets from the driver seat about where my head is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110214_103928.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	127305  
Old 02-15-2011, 02:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zeppo
I made a couple brackets to drop the radio down and slide it closer to the windshield. Before I made those the face was about 2 inches away from my face witht the arr bar mounted at the door surround bolts. Here's a pic with the brackets from the driver seat about where my head is.
That's a great solution! Unfortunately, my fabrication skills are about on par with my dog's. I wonder if the local Jeep specialty store would be able to do something for me.

Mine arrived yesterday. It looks great, but it feels HUGE when I try to find a place to put it.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

yeah guys... just look at my pics, im running my CB with the Arizona Mounting bracket.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zeppo
If you want one go for it, but probably sooner rather than later. Another member here was recently on the market for one and had a hell of a time finding one. They were a limited run and not too many are left in the retailers hands at this point.
I went through 12 pages of google search results yesterday looking for this radio and only found 2 sites that have them listed as in stock.

sparkyscbshack.com/products/Cobra-29-LXLE-4-Color-CB-Radio-**Free-Tune{47}Free-Echo-Mic**.html ^-comes w/ free bench tune but no confirmation of stock

wearecb.com/store/cobra-29lxle-cb-radio-color-display-p-3902.html
^-confirmed 8 units in stock as of last night
HTH anyone still looking for one of these
Old 02-17-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Amazon is still selling a handful of them through an affiliated seller. The price has been steadily increasing as stock decreases though. It's gone up about $50 in the last week.

Quick Reply: Cobra LX LE 50th Ann.