Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

In-Dash CB install

Old 03-07-2013, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob50lx
I'm still working on mine. I used the Sony Dsx-310btx. It has no cd but a tune tray to hide your ipod or other usb device. It can also control pandora over bt on most android phones. I just ordered a cb antenna so I am waiting for it. I'm still deciding where to hang the mic.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
So what din kit did you go with? And did you have to drop a chunk on wiring harness?

Sent from my thingy.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mister ed
So what din kit did you go with? And did you have to drop a chunk on wiring harness?

Sent from my thingy.
I used the Metra 95-6511 Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Multi-kit 2007-Up for my Double DIN kit.
I used the PAC C2R-CHY4 for the wiring kit without steering wheel control interface. I think it was about $65 from Amazon
I used Scosche VWA3B for the Antenna adapter but it seems like a real tight fit and I have lost some FM reception.

I did not have to cut anything in my dash. I was able to completely remove the metal plate in the back without destroying it and I was able to lower the bottom black plastic piece that a lot of people have cut.

Here is a quick picture of what it looks like without the electrical connections.

Most Double DIN installs I have seen require cutting of the factory dash. With a little work I was able to install the 2 radios without any cutting of the factory dash. I did trim the Metra double DIN adapter slightly to get a better fit with the 2 radios.

Here is the only trimming of the double DIN adapter that I did. The trimming is not necessary but I think it allows the radios to fit better. I used a Dremmel but a file or sharp razor blade would work. I only had to notch the top and bottom corners of the backside of trim on both sides. This allows both radios to come forward slightly and eliminate some gaps and allow the drop-down face to work properly.

Before trimming

After trimming

I was able to remove the steel radio bracket after removing the two 8mm bolts. It did take some forceful prying to remove it in 1 piece.

Instead of trimming the lower black plastic piece I was able to remove the 1 screw and lower it. I put the screw back in above the hole to keep the black plastic piece down and out of the way.

The radio is hooked up but I still need to wire up the CB and figure out where to install the mic and I am waiting for the antenna to arrive.

Last edited by Rob50lx; 03-07-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

You don't think the mic on the front will work loud enough? Install looks great! I just ordered everything today so I'll be trying this on a 2012.

Sent from my thingy.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up Rob!! Thanks!!

That post should be added to the how to thread.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mister ed
Um...pictures please!!!

Sent from my thingy.
Sorry for the tardiness. I've been out hunting and wheeling. Here's the pics. After install, I noticed that the Cobra + Double DIN mount = a bit too wide. I'm going to pull the trim off and widen the bottom by 1/16" to 1/8" for a cleaner fit. Right now, the right side is not sitting flush. I'm really digging this Kenwood because it has a remote microphone. I have it mounted on my steering wheel column. Even with the windows/top down, the other person on the other end can still hear me. Built-in mics on the head unit is pretty worthless, unless they can be pointed at you.

(Wired up and ready for transplant)

(Mounted and SWR tuned)

(Flush fit)

(Not flush fitting)

I was going to include a write-up and pics on that, but the most recent posts took care of that.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks 2ndchance! Everything should show up today so ill start the install tomorrow. How easy did the cobra tune?

Sent from my thingy.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tuning was pretty easy. I installed the antenna to the body of the Jeep so the ground was perfect. Used a 4' Firestik antenna. The CB is factory tuned to their standard. One it was all hooked up to the SWR meter we checked the readings. It was perfect. No adjustments needed. Had it need tuning, it would have been as easy as turning one knob on the SWR meter.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2ndchance
Tuning was pretty easy. I installed the antenna to the body of the Jeep so the ground was perfect. Used a 4' Firestik antenna. The CB is factory tuned to their standard. One it was all hooked up to the SWR meter we checked the readings. It was perfect. No adjustments needed. Had it need tuning, it would have been as easy as turning one knob on the SWR meter.
Yeah I run without a spare and just a vector plate back there so I'm hoping my antenna bracket I made will be a solid ground. I'm planning on grinding off the powder coating on the vector plate to help that much more. We shall see.

Sent from my thingy.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a rancho tire carrier so I also removed the factory one. I made a mount using a piece of angle iron and it spans across the two top bolts. Ground it well, or the CB signal will suffer.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Mine is coming along now...

Sent from my thingy.

Quick Reply: In-Dash CB install