Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

A Different(?) Cobra Install (No Drill)

Old 10-16-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Different(?) Cobra Install (No Drill)

i finished the Cobra install today and am very happy with it. I used CoolTech's Ultramount but with a spring load on the 4' Firestik and the entry point through the license plate box sealed with black Ultra Gasket (no moisture will get in there now).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultramount.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	224428

I've seen a number of applications (here and elsewhere) but didn't want to drill into the firewall or floor or have to pull the center console. So while looking at mount options I notice there are holes in the seat frame. Hmmmm. I've already used the left side for DieTech Offroad's Fire Extinguisher Mount, so I wonder... A trip to Home Depot for some angled steel, some primer/paint later and "Voila!" -- I have the basic mount.

Name:	CB1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	224429

Here's the final mounted set up (I put the screwdriver there for reference).

Name:	CB2.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	224430

I ran ground to a point by the front console. Hot went through the front console (easy pass through) and through the firewall on the passengers side where an existing wiring harness goes through. From there, direct to the battery.

Clean, no drilling and off the floor for when the Jeep gets ... baptized (inevitable).
Old 10-16-2011, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks nice and clean. Where will you mount your mic? Are you still using the versa mount? And where will the cord for it lay when it's mounted and in use?
Old 10-16-2011, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 08HokieJK
Looks nice and clean. Where will you mount your mic? Are you still using the versa mount? And where will the cord for it lay when it's mounted and in use?
I store it in one of the seat pockets unless I disconnect it. If I'm using it, for now it's either in my lap, on the center arm rest or my navigator has it. :-)

Last edited by Rhum Runner; 10-19-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rhum Runner

I store it in one of the seat pockets unless I disconnect it. If I'm using it, for now it's either in my lap, one the center arm rest or my navigator has it. :-)
Nice. I will be getting one of this within the next couple months. Thanks for yet another idea on it haha.

Quick Reply: A Different(?) Cobra Install (No Drill)