Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

External speaker for CB.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External speaker for CB.

Do all external speakers for CBs work the same? My CB is mounted like this:

And I can't hear much out of the unit even with the volume being maxxed out. If they radio is on even a little, can't hear squat. Need the radio to be off to hear clearly.

I want to mount an external speaker for it on my dash. Is an external speaker worth it? Can I put some music on low and still hear people speaking clearly?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
Do all external speakers for CBs work the same? My CB is mounted like this:

And I can't hear much out of the unit even with the volume being maxxed out. If they radio is on even a little, can't hear squat. Need the radio to be off to hear clearly.

I want to mount an external speaker for it on my dash. Is an external speaker worth it? Can I put some music on low and still hear people speaking clearly?

Thanks.
Yes, from what I remember, they are all pretty much the same....it just depends on the quality of speaker you want to use. Just be sure to match the ohms. It should tell you what they are either in your manual or possibly on the back of the radio at the jack.

It looks like with the way you have your CB mounted, I take it that the speaker is on the bottom, so then it would be shooting the sound down towards the floor, Yes, external CB speakers are worth it. Especially if you mount the speaker somewhere on the rollbar up around your head. But even up on the dash pointed at you should make a big difference.

Also remember that if your antenna system and grounds are not the best, then the signals you are receiving will be week, thus the low level audio even with the volume maxed. If the signals you are receiving are strong and up in the red, then the audio coming out of the radio should be loud.

Good Luck.....
Old 03-18-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
I want to mount an external speaker for it on my dash. Is an external speaker worth it?
I don't like a cluttered dash... mounted my Midland on the sound bar. And yes, external speakers are well worth it....

Old 03-18-2009, 08:36 PM
JK Freak

Default External Speaker

I mounted an external just below the dash on my CJ7 and it is a world of difference. Clarity & Volume both much improved.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

I haven't done this yet myself but I plan to. The external speaker would cost 10 - 20 bucks and the setup looks simple enough.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ternal+speaker
Old 03-20-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same radio in my trail YJ. I mounted an external speaker in the sound bar. Worked really well. Kinda scares the crap out of you, when you have the volume up too much, it sounds like someones yelling in your ear !
Old 03-24-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

I mounted mine above the rear view mirror. It works pretty good.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:14 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks for all the input!!

Quick Reply: External speaker for CB.