Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

FCC and Enforcement

Old 03-22-2009, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a difference between running 1500 watts cause you are out in the wilderness and need emergency help and running around town running 1500 watts just cause you want to. One is illegal and one isn't. In emergency situations you can get away with running illegal radios to call for help. Its the blatant disregard for other peoples legal and proper use of the radio system that I find so baffling.

Last edited by duneslider; 03-22-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish I could find the rational behind restricting equipment from operating on the FRS and 11M bands. If my gear transmits no more wattage than is federally allowed on those freqeuncies who cares what radio I use to do it?

The laws the law and I abide by it, but there seems to be no logical reason for the rule in the first place.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It kills me, I used to run a boomer 600 linear amp with a superstar gold radio. Way above the FCC's 4 watts. I figure anything that runs through my body (radio waves) is fair game.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Skippman
I wish I could find the rational behind restricting equipment from operating on the FRS and 11M bands. If my gear transmits no more wattage than is federally allowed on those freqeuncies who cares what radio I use to do it?

The laws the law and I abide by it, but there seems to be no logical reason for the rule in the first place.
Alot of it has to do with how "clean" a radio is. Some radios put out such a dirty signal that they bleed way over into the other adjacent freqs. Same is true with all these illegal amps. Most of them put out a lot of hash and trash as far as signals go. This is one reason why top of the line HAM radios are so expensive. They are forced to undergo pretty stringent tests to become certified. Not to say that there aren't a lot of dirty runing HAM radios too. But at least most put out a pretty clean signal. Especially if the HAMS that are running them know how to adjust and monitor their signal. Most CBers could care less.......all they want is to be "Loud and Proud"....lol.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 03-23-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Alot of it has to do with how "clean" a radio is. Some radios put out such a dirty signal that they bleed way over into the other adjacent freqs. Same is true with all these illegal amps. Most of them put out a lot of hash and trash as far as signals go. This is one reason why top of the line HAM radios are so expensive. They are forced to undergo pretty stringent tests to become certified. Not to say that there aren't a lot of dirty runing HAM radios too. But at least most put out a pretty clean signal. Especially if the HAMS that are running them know how to adjust and monitor their signal. Most CBers could care less.......all they want is to be "Loud and Proud"....lol.
Ok, but I'm not talking about modding some cheap Midland radio to blast 900w linear power into the 10M range. I'm talking about using a quality Yaesu or ICOM radio with it's PEP/Wattage cranked WAY down to chirp on 11 Meter, which is largely unregulated anyway.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
i agree. i use to run a ranger dx 2995 peaked and tuned with a d104. i could dx all over the us on am and england on ssb. got nothing but good reports. but put that radio against a kenwood or yaesu and you can clearly hear that the 2995 wasnt as crisp as a high end ham radio.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:04 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Skippman
Ok, but I'm not talking about modding some cheap Midland radio to blast 900w linear power into the 10M range. I'm talking about using a quality Yaesu or ICOM radio with it's PEP/Wattage cranked WAY down to chirp on 11 Meter, which is largely unregulated anyway.
I understand........Like I've said before, even tho they let us HAMS be responsible with power on the HAM bands, it just seems to me that the Feds still don't trust us to do the right thing on the CB freqs. if we wanted to talk there.
I agree, it makes no sense.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 03-24-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 PM
JK Freak

We have terrorists and murders and people are getting popped for this kind of fun?

Total BS

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I've run so much power in my old mobile that I could pull up at the Piggly Wiggly, dead key the mic and open the automatic doors. From SLAM out in the edge of the parking lot. I had to have two 140 amp alternators to support my whole setup. By the same contrast, I have an uncle who used to talk shortwave on 2 watts all the way around the world. Two different animals, but you get the picture. I wouldn't think for somethin maybe 100 watts and under...like a good clean modulator that you'd get a second look. Course, I got too much to lose now I'm later in life so I ain't gonna find out. I wouldn't mind tunin what I have up to maybe 15 or so watts. I don't think they'd hunt you down for all that.

Oh, a Piggly Wiggly is a grocery store chain down here in the south.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cesar
We have terrorists and murders and people are getting popped for this kind of fun?

Total BS
Maybe we can get the Ham Police to go after terrorists, murderers, and AGI.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi

how does the FCC catch people? I mean if I had my CB in my Jeep modded to have double the wattage.. #1 how would they know??? more importantly #2 how would they know it was me and not the semi truck behind me or whatever??? They have a CSI style radio freaquency database or something?

Quick Reply: FCC and Enforcement