Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Fender mount Ham radiation concern

Old 11-07-2016, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, I'm about to pull the trigger on a yaesu either 2900 or 7900. Either way I wanted to go with fender mount on the driver side. I've read that has the best propagation(?) but I'm worried about radiation to my cranium. I currently have a teraflex spare tire mount for my CB which comes with 2 holes side by side one which has the CB antenna mounted to it. Supposedly that's not the best place for a HAM antenna? Any advice or words of wisdom? TIA

Last edited by pitbull62; 11-07-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

I would separate it a bit from the CB antenna if it is real close. Get a good antenna and a good mount and you will be fine. Everything on a jeep is a compromise.

I have a rear fender mount HF antenna on my Jeep and I get reception from Europe, Middle East, South America so it can work well.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coolhand129
I would separate it a bit from the CB antenna if it is real close. Get a good antenna and a good mount and you will be fine. Everything on a jeep is a compromise. I have a rear fender mount HF antenna on my Jeep and I get reception from Europe, Middle East, South America so it can work well.
which mount do you have? And a pic if you have one. Thx
Old 11-08-2016, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey pitbull,

If you believe the FCC info and regulations, 50 watts or less on 2 meters and 70 watts or less on UHF is not a concern with regard to RF exposure. See page 15 and 16 of this: https://transition.fcc.gov/bureaus/o...et65/oet65.pdf

That being said, I personally prefer the rear mounted antennas to prevent them from being damaged (i.e. shrubs growing along a narrow road). Using a half-wave antenna on your preferred band will provide significant improvements in RX and TX as compared to a 1/4 wave or 5/8's. In my case, I run a dual band antenna mounted just above the spare tire and the 2 meter antenna is 1/2 wave while the UHF part of it is 5/8's. It all works quite well as compared to my other vehicle installations.

Good luck.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Eh... it's a matter of exposure too. How long, over time, will you be exposed to transmission. If you're not transmitting, then it's not 'dosing' you. Lots of other stuff you should worry about before that. For example the elastomers in plastics inside your vehicle (that grime that accumulates on the inside of your windshield is the elastomers off-gassing) is something you get way more exposure to. Or the chemicals in the soda you drink, or blah, blah, blah.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 7900 and I made a 5 antenna mount that is perpendicular to my windshield bracket (so I can bend antennas over the hood and they still work great). The windshield will deflect a lot so you should be fine with your cranium. The hood area remains best for propagation while the rear is worst. Enjoy, it's a great radio for the Jeep!

Last edited by CombatDiver; 11-18-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso
Hey pitbull,

If you believe the FCC info and regulations, 50 watts or less on 2 meters and 70 watts or less on UHF is not a concern with regard to RF exposure. See page 15 and 16 of this: https://transition.fcc.gov/bureaus/o...et65/oet65.pdf

That being said, I personally prefer the rear mounted antennas to prevent them from being damaged (i.e. shrubs growing along a narrow road). Using a half-wave antenna on your preferred band will provide significant improvements in RX and TX as compared to a 1/4 wave or 5/8's. In my case, I run a dual band antenna mounted just above the spare tire and the 2 meter antenna is 1/2 wave while the UHF part of it is 5/8's. It all works quite well as compared to my other vehicle installations.

Good luck.
Could you post some pics of your antenna mount?
Old 11-30-2016, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CombatDiver
I have the 7900 and I made a 5 antenna mount that is perpendicular to my windshield bracket (so I can bend antennas over the hood and they still work great). The windshield will deflect a lot so you should be fine with your cranium. The hood area remains best for propagation while the rear is worst. Enjoy, it's a great radio for the Jeep!
Would love to see some pics of the mount youre talking about
Old 12-01-2016, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also intrigued by that 5 antenna setup...

I'm also running the Yaesu 7900, which is a terrific radio. For antenna I'm running the Comet 2x4sr with the spring base, on a fender mount.

It's very durable, and flexes out of the way of branches very well; and if you're ever in a really tight spot, it folds down easily. Already had it through a few tight trails, and it came out unscathed.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pitbull62
Could you post some pics of your antenna mount?
Hey Pitbull -

Here are some older pics, from when I originally installed the antenna mounts. Currently I use one dual band ham antenna the other is a scanner antenna. The pics in the link only show one antenna which I no longer use.

FTM-350AR Install

Cheers -

Quick Reply: Fender mount Ham radiation concern