Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

First CB

Old 01-29-2013, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 520

Originally Posted by 2010jeepsport
Looks good... do you think the 520 is better than the 510? i mean are the 20-30 buck worth the difference?
Hi the 520 has the PA and also rf gain nob, Same radio other wise. you can get them on amazon pretty cheap, You will really like this radio, it is a great basic CB. IMO have fun. here is what I posted a while ago and what i was running in my JK until I got my Ham radio license and radios. /#post2946337[/url]
I am not sure if that will get you to the right thread where I posted that but here is what I used and where I got it. CB world is a nice place to get CB and some Ham stuff, and I just ordered some stuff from them and got free shipping!!

this is from an old post of mine when i got my CB:Uniden 520 xl $39.00 off ebay,new
Here is what I got from CBworld, it works perfect for me. The 18' coax has a PL259 connecter on one end that goes into the radio and a lug for the stud assembly for the antenna. I snaked it thru the tailgate no problem. I also ran a short ground wire from the tub of the jeep to the frame , I couldn't get my SWR's down until I did that. Grounding the antenna mount is most important. With the lug type connecter on this cable it has its own ground wire to screw on to the mount.
AUD402 Adjustable Universal CB Radio Mounting Bracket
$6.99
Everhart TSM4-R Four Foot SUPER FLEX WAVECB Antenna , this is super flexible good antenna, trail tested you will be hard pressed to find a better antenna.
$11.50 . It does need to be tuned for the right swr, you will need a SWR meter and you will end up cutting a few inches of the wire off to make it right. You just take the pastic top off the top of the antenna and pull the inside wire out little by little and check the swr as you cut it to the right length.
KCB5SS Stainless Steel Lug Stud Antenna Mount $4.95
PL8X18 18 Foot RG8X Coax $16.99
K1A PUSH-N-TWIST Quick Disconnect Replacement for R1A $13.99

Last edited by Highlander; 01-29-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Why not the Cobra 29?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Why not the Cobra 29?
I don't know. I'm not looking into spending a crazy amount of money, just something to use on the trails and on road trips. From what I've read both Uniden PRO510XL and the Cobra 19DXIV are cheap and they get the job done just fine. But I'll take a look at that one and see what's up with it.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bearcat 980ssb

Uniden BEARCAT 980SSB CB Radio With Sideband And WeatherBand My friend and Elmer just told me about this new CB Uniden is making. It looks really good and has SSB which is a great asset for a CB. It also has a memory scan the very first CB I have seen with a scan feature. It is like $150.00 on Amazon, but you may be able to find it cheaper. Thing is, it is a full size Cb not compact like the little 510 or 520, but it is worth checking out, it is the first new CB Uniden has made for many years. I have not tried it so do not know how it performs but Uniden is a great product.

Last edited by Highlander; 02-14-2013 at 06:29 AM.

Quick Reply: First CB