Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Grounding Teraflex Antenna hinged carrier or accessories mount

Old 02-17-2015, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Grounding Teraflex Antenna hinged carrier or accessories mount

I would like advice, or even better, pics on ground a CB antenna when using the Teraflex hinged carrier antenna mount or the Teraflex accessories mount. From my reading I a lot of peole say just to grind/sand off the paint from the mount, and others says to make sure the tailgate is grounded and then mount your antenna to the mount with paint grind/sand off.

However, I thought I read somewhere of how you can run a ground wire with a ring from the antenna stud down through the tailgate and then ground it to the tub.

Can anybody provide detailed information and/or pics? If I wen this route, I've read where folks say that the braided/woven ground strap is best. Can you get this in more than the small pieces I found online but not have to buy a roll and still have the ends already on it. Just curious on this item.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:51 AM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAG00
I would like advice, or even better, pics on ground a CB antenna when using the Teraflex hinged carrier antenna mount or the Teraflex accessories mount. From my reading I a lot of peole say just to grind/sand off the paint from the mount, and others says to make sure the tailgate is grounded and then mount your antenna to the mount with paint grind/sand off.

However, I thought I read somewhere of how you can run a ground wire with a ring from the antenna stud down through the tailgate and then ground it to the tub.

Can anybody provide detailed information and/or pics? If I wen this route, I've read where folks say that the braided/woven ground strap is best. Can you get this in more than the small pieces I found online but not have to buy a roll and still have the ends already on it. Just curious on this item.

Thanks.
Scroll down, and look at the second to last post. The pictures aren't great, but it gives you an idea.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...nd-off-307826/
Old 02-18-2015, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The mounts that I am referring to are:

Teraflex Hinge CB Mount

Teraflex Hinge Accessories Mount

OR should I look at hood mount for better antenna performance? If so, can you recommend one?
Old 02-21-2015, 08:14 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Teraflex Hinge CB Mount

OR should I look at hood mount for better antenna performance? If so, can you recommend one?
Basically the principle is the same for either mount. A hinged carrier typically doesn't have the best continuity to a vehicle chassis ground, so a grounding braid is a good investment.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:41 PM
JK Super Freak

I will be in the same boat. That means i will have to buy a pretty long grounding strap to reach from the spare tire carrier mount that i bought.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this worked for bonding my tailgate to the frame. I did this on my old JK for my HAM radio, I ran a HAM stick off the tire carrier and also use the same setup for the CB. just changed the cable feed for which radio I was using.

I used a star washer to bite into the metal. tailgate to frame screw behind radio speaker.

then I bonded the frame to body on both sides of the tailgate, I did remove the rear bumper to do this.
I used a tap and again a star washer to bite into the metal..

home made teraflex type tire carrier bracket. used CB and HAM stick.

I also bonded other areas of the frame and body so I could transmit 100W -HAM Freq, without RFI..
the tailgate bonding should be enough for the CB.

another factor like others have suggested is to make sure your connector has good contact with the antenna bracket,, so it you have to remove some paint from the bracket that's ok.. I didn't have to remove any paint from any of the Jeep locations, star washer bite into the metal.
this should be a better ground system then one braid.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Really nice job jeepit.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using the Teraflex hinge tire carrier with this same high lift/rotopax mount on my JKU and I only sanded off the area around the connector. I feel that this tire carrier attaches to the tailgate with a better bond/ground then stock.
As shown in my previous post I have yet to bond the tailgate to the frame for higher power (HAM usage).
I get a 1.5-1.7 SWR CB ant, with this setup.. it would be a little better but my CB antenna is a little to short.

I have yet to install my HF HAM radio.. when I do I will have to do more bonding of the body to the frame.

but sanding off the connector area should work for you also.

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 02-21-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Grounding Teraflex Antenna hinged carrier or accessories mount