Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Ham or cb?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ham or cb?

I am a complete newb to all this.. What is the differene between a HAM and CB? pro's con's?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The simple way to explain it is cb dont need a license and are limited in range where a ham requires a written exam and a license.
There are some that use both radios in their Jeeps.
For ease and starting out, cb would be the way to go.

Last edited by donnie; 06-13-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:46 PM
JK Super Freak

CB.
Pros...Cheap. Easy. Incredibly common. As stated, no license required.
Cons...Limited range. Only 40 Channels.

HAM.
Pros...Hundreds, thousands of frequencies. Repeater systems: The best way I can explain that is to say I am never out of comms with SOMEONE. Easy: It was intimidating to me but now that I have done it, it was easy. Unlimited range: from San Diego I can key up one frequency and talk to California, Oregon, Idaho, Washington, Alaska and a few other states.
Cons...More expensive. License required, but not too difficult.

Unfortunately they aren't compatible. Modifying a HAM radio for CB is illegal. Some Jeep clubs require you to have a CB before they allow you on their trail run.

X2 on getting a CB first. If you are only out with other people a CB is all you need. If you plan to depart pavement and cell coverage by yourself then get a license and radio.

I just did a quick search. 31 repeaters in the Chicago area. Wow!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Smile

CB: One trick pony. 40 channels (120 via SSB), 4 watts. Limited range, voice only. On the other hand, CB is the backbone of Jeep off road communications.
As stated above, CB is cheap, easy to install and easy to use. A good place to start. While CB is regulated by the FCC, they tend not to pay much attention to the CB community. CB radios came into wide use in the early 1970s.

AMATEUR RADIO (aka HAM Radio): Been around since about 1915. It is strictly monitored and regulated by the FCC. HAM radio has access to most frequency bands including, but not limited to, VHF, UHF and HF. HAM radio has its own communications satellite. While CB is limited to short range voice communications, HAM radio provides short, medium and long range communications, and I mean around the world long range, and includes voice, data, high speed data, video, GPS, Voice Over IP, etc, etc. There are three levels of HAM operators; Technician, General and Extra. Each level requires that the operator study for and pass a written test. (Knowledge of Morse code is not required) Most HAMS belong to local clubs and there is an umbrella organization known as the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) which has been around since about 1918, as I remember. HAMS provide local police, fire departments and disaster command centers with all types of communications services as required. HAMS are also active in Search and Rescue operations and support many special events at the local level. I guess you could look at it this way, if CB radio is the kindergarten level of radio communications, then HAM radio is the PhD from MIT level.

While I have a VHF/UHF dual band HAM radio in my Jeep, I also have a CB radio and I carry my cell phone. That being said, if you spend any time off road, you can quickly get out of range of a cell phone "cell" and CB owners who can provide assistance. That's where HAM radio shines. In most areas of the USA, the HAM community has radio repeaters on mountain tops or towers that extend the line of sight by 50 to 100 miles. What that equates to is, you will almost never be out of radio range, and if you have a HF radio, you will always be in range with someone.

I suggest that you go online to arrl.org and check out their site. You will get a lot of HAM radio questions answered there. Then check you local Elgin Yellow Pages for Amateur Radio Clubs in your area. Most of these clubs have web sites that you can also check out.

CB and HAM radio are not in competition with each other. They compliment each other.

KI6VBQ
Old 06-14-2009, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between

Go to this site and put your zip code in.
It will give a list of amateur groups in your particular area.
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/courses/
When I started out, none of the groups had listing in the local phone book.
Hope this helps you out.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Chi-town.

CB is great for wheeling in groups. You can talk to the other drivers easily, and it makes runs a lot more fun when you can communicate with others in your group. However, if you get in trouble and you're out of cell phone range, CB may not be to useful because of its limited range.

I live in Utah and do a lot of wheeling in remote areas, usually with a friend, sometimes alone. In Utah, cell phones have good coverage in the cities, but if you get away from the I-15, I-70, or I-80 corridors, there's a good chance that you will be out of range with your cell phone. Because of that, I got my Technician class HAM license and a good 2 meter handheld radio, which gives me a much better chance of getting help if I'm in a remote area. I am going to take the test for my General class license in a month or so, because that would give me a lot more radio privileges.

Read my thread, "How do I get started with HAM in my JK." (last post 5-23-09.) I got a lot of helpful feedback from the HAMs on this site.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
HAM radio has its own communications satellite.
KI6VBQ
What? Not to be nasty or any thing but...

Yes you can access satellites, bounce signal off the ionosphere to get long range communications, you can even bounce signal off the moon.
But there isn't a specific satellite for amature radio.

Find a local Amature Radio Club and go to a meeting ask questions and get to know people this is the best way to learn about Amature Radio.

Last edited by mcds99; 06-15-2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Add Info.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Think of ham radio (amateur radio) as a hobby separate onto itself. It's a great hobby but, just like Jeeping, can lead to more demands on your time and money. If you want a radio to talk more than a mile or two at the most (on trails), then you'll have to get a ham license and radio gear because CB won't cut it.

If you want to go wheeling, then you'll need a CB--whether you have a ham rig or not. That's because most off-roaders run CB radios for talking to each other.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mcds99
... there isn't a specific satellite for amature radio. ...
It's been years since I've been an active amateur (WB6MPD), but after all of the successes with the OSCARs there are no longer any ham satellites? Are you serious?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Not trying to hijack this thread, just clearing up the satellite question.

amsat.org

KI6ZLF; clear.

Quick Reply: Ham or cb?