Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Help! Cant tune CB radio antenna

Old 08-15-2011, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Cant tune CB radio antenna

Hi. Just installed the cobra 75 cb radio and a Wilson flex 4 antenna on my rock hard tire carrier mount. I have everything installed the way the instructions say and can't get my antenna tuned below 3:1. Are people running a separate ground strap for the tire carrier? anyone running this same set up?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When tuning make sure your outside, with nothing above you... i made the mistake of tuning in my garage and wasted countless hours
Also make sure that after everytime you tune the antenna you put the cap back on (if it has a cap)
Make sure all doors and tailgate are closed
Old 08-15-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same problem. Ended up having to run a ground to the tailgate and that fixed it.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by medic_23387
Had the same problem. Ended up having to run a ground to the tailgate and that fixed it.
Thats a good idea, I did that too. Got a battery ground cable from Autozone (looks like a mesh wire in a way i guess) and ran it from the tailgate to the tub, but that was before i realized you cant tune it inside
Old 08-15-2011, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Croce

Thats a good idea, I did that too. Got a battery ground cable from Autozone (looks like a mesh wire in a way i guess) and ran it from the tailgate to the tub, but that was before i realized you cant tune it inside
Would grounding the tailgate help with the grounding on the swing out tire carrier?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by just JK'n
Would grounding the tailgate help with the grounding on the swing out tire carrier?
Have the same bumper (love it) I ended up grounding tailgate to body and used a teraflex mount that bolts to tailgate with stainless steel hardware and tuned out in a large plowed field and have a swr of 1.2 unless around large buildings or power lines. Had to try different mounts and burn one radio up before I hit the sweat spot.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigT
Have the same bumper (love it) I ended up grounding tailgate to body and used a teraflex mount that bolts to tailgate with stainless steel hardware and tuned out in a large plowed field and have a swr of 1.2 unless around large buildings or power lines. Had to try different mounts and burn one radio up before I hit the sweat spot.
so... you didnt mount your anenna to the mount on the swing out carrier?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have a ground issue. Moving parts and CB antennas usually don't get along.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had similar issues and it turned out to be a bad connection at the plug at the opposite end from the antenna. Make sure your ground and center tap have good connections. I only discovered it when I accidentally bent the cable near the box and my readings changed.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the tech section on the firestick website. Lots of good info on SWR, grounding and Jeep info. I know you have the Wilson but, the info is relevant. Post some pics of your mounting / grounding. RF grounding is different than DC grounding. Autozone has a universal ground strap for $6. I had to ground my tailgate and tire carrier to get to 1.2. Take your time so you don't fry your radio.

Did you remove the powder coat where needed? You can't get a good ground without doing so.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Help! Cant tune CB radio antenna