Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Here is where you should mount your CB and HAM antennas on your Jeep

Old 10-16-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DKehler
Heres the pics. that piece of fender is real flimsy and that's why I added the little angle brackets. The back wall the angle brackets are screwed to is pretty stout and I would highly recommend attaching to it. I added weatherstripping to the bracket to save the paint. I like coming up with new ways to do things but the above the mirror clamp trick is really awesome. No drilling, no mirror interference, great place to view it, hear the speaker and a solid mount.
Are those just sheet metal screws? Looks good.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DKehler
Heres the pics. that piece of fender is real flimsy and that's why I added the little angle brackets. The back wall the angle brackets are screwed to is pretty stout and I would highly recommend attaching to it. I added weatherstripping to the bracket to save the paint. I like coming up with new ways to do things but the above the mirror clamp trick is really awesome. No drilling, no mirror interference, great place to view it, hear the speaker and a solid mount.
How much cable did it take with that mount location?
Old 10-19-2012, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone have issues with the cb antenna wire cracking on them? I have my antenna mounted on the swing gate, and after opening up the wiring to run excess wires the other day into the gate. I noticed the wire cracked in two spots completely around the wire(leaving the tail gate, and entering the right side of the tub).
Old 10-21-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKmod
Anyone have issues with the cb antenna wire cracking on them? I have my antenna mounted on the swing gate, and after opening up the wiring to run excess wires the other day into the gate. I noticed the wire cracked in two spots completely around the wire(leaving the tail gate, and entering the right side of the tub).
Cracking or getting crimped? If you have decent coax, it shouldn't be cracking for 10+ years.

Getting crimped in the movement is something else entirely. Many coaxes aren't designed for much flexibility and even those that are won't handle being shut in a hinge more than once or twice.

Check your cable routing. If it's getting crimped or in risk of it, you need to reduce the likelihood completely.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm running a truck stop 48" firestik on a analog midland CB, mounted to a pilar light tab with a heavy rated spring. I've had great results with this set up in all terrain. Never tuned the antenna or ran the radio through a Spec-a. I took the idea from the way we set up our VHF radios in military trucks, keeping space between anttenna, antennas grounded and elevated. I get about 1-2' above the height of the jeep.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what if I don't run a spare on my tailgate and put my antenna at the top left or right corner with the bottom over the tailgate or body line, would that work ok?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcgee149
So what if I don't run a spare on my tailgate and put my antenna at the top left or right corner with the bottom over the tailgate or body line, would that work ok?
Nearly anything will work. It just works to varying degrees and takes more effort to work out the bugs. Keeping it connected to a non-moving part of the metal body would always be preferable.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arjeeper

Nearly anything will work. It just works to varying degrees and takes more effort to work out the bugs. Keeping it connected to a non-moving part of the metal body would always be preferable.
Andy, here's my ball mount that a PIA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3866443539.jpg
Views:	1782
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	382692
Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Homemade tailgate mount...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2472452631.jpg
Views:	1379
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	392910  
Old 11-30-2012, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Ill buy one

Originally Posted by Jamantste
Homemade tailgate mount...
Willing to make another so I can buy it? no need to paint or powdercoat for me

Quick Reply: Here is where you should mount your CB and HAM antennas on your Jeep