Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

I want a HAM Radio!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 03:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I passed my Technician Class this week, and just got my call sign today. I used the Gordon West Tech Class book. I read it twice, and got 34 of 35 questions correct. You can get his books on line or at HAM radio shops.

I'm going to play around with 2 meter for a while. In talking with other HAMs in Utah, they say that you are almost never out of range of a 2 meter repeater. So I bought an Icom 2 meter handheld and a magnetic antenna for $200.

I am starting to study for my General Class license, and I'm using the Gordon West books again. When I get my General Class, I'll probably get a mobile unit for my jeep with more wavelength capability than the 2 meter.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by utah-jk
I passed my Technician Class this week, and just got my call sign today. I used the Gordon West Tech Class book. I read it twice, and got 34 of 35 questions correct. You can get his books on line or at HAM radio shops.

I'm going to play around with 2 meter for a while. In talking with other HAMs in Utah, they say that you are almost never out of range of a 2 meter repeater. So I bought an Icom 2 meter handheld and a magnetic antenna for $200.

I am starting to study for my General Class license, and I'm using the Gordon West books again. When I get my General Class, I'll probably get a mobile unit for my jeep with more wavelength capability than the 2 meter.
Good for you and congrats !!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by duneslider
When I took the tech test I got a 100% so they told me to take the general just because. I hadn't studied ANYTHING for the general and only missed it by a couple questions. I now wish I had spent a little time studying so I could have passed the general too, just didn't realize it would have been attainable. So, now I have to find time to study again and go take the test again. I may get me the extra manual too and start working on it.
It's funny you mention this as I've been thinking about the HAM thing as well. I went to one of the sites with practice tests and took one with no prep (for the Technician license) and missed it by a couple questions. I think when I finally sit down to do it, I'll go ahead and prep for the General too.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by kleinrider
It's funny you mention this as I've been thinking about the HAM thing as well. I went to one of the sites with practice tests and took one with no prep (for the Technician license) and missed it by a couple questions. I think when I finally sit down to do it, I'll go ahead and prep for the General too.
I'll say this again......if you are only thinking about talking mobile from the jeep and only once in awhile at that, then 2 meters (you get a little HF but not much) and your Tech license may be all you need. BUT....if you are intrigued by the fact that you can talk to someone on the other side of the globe, then BY ALL MEANS, study and go for your Generals as well. You'll be WAAAAAAAAAAAY glad you did...!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by utah-jk

Congratulations and good job on acing the test! Welcome to the HAM fraternity.

Jerry
NW6M

Quick Reply: I want a HAM Radio!!!