Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Installed my CB today-YAY!!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed my CB today-YAY!!

I got myself the Midland 75-822, so really all I needed to do was install an antenna. For me, that was the hard part because I didn't know where I wanted to mount it. I decided on the tailgate behind the tire. I ended getting an L bracket mount from NAPA and used an existing bolt for my tire mount to put it on. I had to bore it out to 5/16 first. Then I feed my ground wire and cable through the vent and to the other side of the tail gate.

I attached the ground to an existing ground bolt that was put in for my rear PIAA lights and then ran the cable under the tail gate panel to feed it under the carpet all the way to the front. Then I just had to connect the CB to the cable and plug it into the power outlet.

After I got it all wired, I connected my 3' antenna and I am all set. The down side is I can't keep my antenna on because of my garage. So, I think I might get the quick disconnect now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2667..jpg
Views:	427
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	60546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2668..jpg
Views:	401
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	60548   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2673..jpg
Views:	411
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	60549   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2672..jpg
Views:	439
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	60550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2674..jpg
Views:	412
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	60551  

Old 04-15-2010, 04:51 AM
JK Junkie

Nicely done!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

i like how the CB operates. Do you know of any other ways to ground it since i dont have rear offroad lights? Ive seen some people scratch there paint on there jeeps and ground to that, but that just looks like shit lol. Im guessing you could ground it to any bolt back there? also you can pretty much mount the antenna anywhere right?

im not too good with electrical work even something as basic as this lol all help is appreciated thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

forgot to ask, do you have any pics of the actual CB mounted? i curious to where you put it as well as how the chord initially is run underneath the carpet
Old 04-15-2010, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

any way around grinding down paint? can you add a ground bracket or something?
Old 04-16-2010, 08:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Steven4est
i like how the CB operates. Do you know of any other ways to ground it since i dont have rear offroad lights? Ive seen some people scratch there paint on there jeeps and ground to that, but that just looks like shit lol. Im guessing you could ground it to any bolt back there? also you can pretty much mount the antenna anywhere right?

im not too good with electrical work even something as basic as this lol all help is appreciated thanks
Yeah, you can mount a CB where ever you want. So many options. I couldn't decided for the longest time. I was going to put it on my bumper at first and was going to weld something one, but went against it and decided to put behind the tire. i like the bracket teraflex sells, but it didn't work for me because of the tire mount i have on. The biggest part of the install that was a pain in the butt for me was getting the wires through the vent and and out of the tail gate. And i had to go through the vent because my tire holder covered up the passenger side grommet and the driver side was all filled up with stock wires and my PIAA wires. With grounding, you can pretty much put it anywhere. you can even drill your own hole somewhere under something to hide it and put it where you would like. you just want to make sure it's on some bare paint somewhere.

With my cable, i ran it behind the subwoofer and all the way up under the carpet. i haven't been able to figure out where i want to put the CB yet. i'm undecided on how and where to put it.

Originally Posted by IndianaJeep
by looking at your install pics.....the ground wire is connected to your mount bolt and then to a screw on the inside of your tailgate....but NOT to the jeep's tub or frame? I think you need to run it all the way into cab and ground it there. It loses ground from the hinges.

here's my set up, before finally putting the wires and things back in order but gives you an idea of what i'm talking about (GREEN WIRE is ground- ran from the mount bolt, through the tailgate, then out to the cab following the stock wiring):

eyelet connector for ground wire shown in this pic:

and YES i had to grind paint on the mount and the cab (using the bolt for the cargo tie down) to get ground continuity
Maybe, maybe not. i heard read a lot of people say the same thing with the hinges and placement, but have heard the same argument with the way i did it. i get what you are saying, but personally i don't think its that big of a deal. the gate hinges are on there pretty good and has no rattles in it, so the connection is solid. plus, thats the same ground i have for my PIAA lights and never have ran into a problem, so i'm not going to worry about it because i think its pretty solid. but, i really do appreciate the advice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2677..jpg
Views:	219
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	60944   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2676..jpg
Views:	213
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	60945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2675..jpg
Views:	302
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	60946  
Old 04-16-2010, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
Cool set-up!! I like it
Thank you!
Old 04-23-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

Alright, i finally finished my CB install-basically. I found a place to mount the mic and a mount for it.

TOAD, thanks so much for the mount!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Gutless, Where did you get the button mount for the back of the handset. My midland came with just a belt clip but I've been wanting to swap it out. Guess I haven't looked into it much, is it just a generic part to swap in the normal CB style hanger or what?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Joe C
Gutless, Where did you get the button mount for the back of the handset. My midland came with just a belt clip but I've been wanting to swap it out. Guess I haven't looked into it much, is it just a generic part to swap in the normal CB style hanger or what?
i found it on some CB parts website. Then I just got some JB weld and stuck it on. hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Installed my CB today-YAY!!