Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Issues Grounding my 4'Wilson on Fab Fours Tire Carrier/Swing

Old 10-18-2011, 02:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues Grounding my 4'Wilson on Fab Fours Tire Carrier/Swing

I can't seem to get a good Ground on my Antenna, as when I call for a radio check I get no responses. My antenna is mounted on the supplied mount of the 1st Gen Fab Fours Carrier/Swing. I also run it with a 6" Spring and I've got it set up with the Plastic washer at the base of the Spring. SWR reading seems to be incheck. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try it without the spring.

Originally Posted by action.is.go
I can't seem to get a good Ground on my Antenna, as when I call for a radio check I get no responses. My antenna is mounted on the supplied mount of the 1st Gen Fab Fours Carrier/Swing. I also run it with a 6" Spring and I've got it set up with the Plastic washer at the base of the Spring. SWR reading seems to be incheck. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your plastic washer needs to be on the top of the mount then you have a washer and lock washer then the spring. You also might have to scrape of paint or powder coat off of mounting location on swingarm.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

What channel are you trying to get a radio check on? You need to be on 19, so truckers can hear you, and say..."breaker breaker one nine, can I get a radio check, come on back".

You probably already knew this!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah come back. Lol
Old 10-18-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK KIWI
What channel are you trying to get a radio check on? You need to be on 19, so truckers can hear you, and say..."breaker breaker one nine, can I get a radio check, come on back".

You probably already knew this!
Thanks for that ...I'm fully aware of how to get a radio check. I live not 5 mins from the Canadian/Us border and this isn't my first time using a CB.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cru9
Your plastic washer needs to be on the top of the mount then you have a washer and lock washer then the spring. You also might have to scrape of paint or powder coat off of mounting location on swingarm.
Thanks for the info. I double checked my install, and it is set-up as you outlined. I'm guessing I got to remove some of the Powder coating, however, before I do I'm going to remove the Spring and see if this doesn't sovle anything.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

For me, removing the spring was all that was required, which is why I suggested it. let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Issues Grounding my 4'Wilson on Fab Fours Tire Carrier/Swing