Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Looking for a decent CB install in a 2011

Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a decent CB install in a 2011

I just purchased a 2011 JK and I am in the market for a new CB as well. I have had the Cobra 75 in the past, and I know how easy they are to install. I always had the Cobra 75 with the handset mounted to the bracket to the right of the OEM radio. Unfortunately, that really doesn't seem to be an option in the 2011, as there is no way to mount such a bracket. I have considered the Cobra 19, as well as some of the other larger CB models. At this point I am up for any options out there and I would like to see what others with the new 2011 interior have done.

TIA

Bill
Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 PM
JK Super Freak

I just installed the cobra 75 with the module tied to a bracket just below the glove compartment. there is a thread on the install...
I like it.... my HAM radio will take up other areas so I like this compact CB setup.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
I just installed the cobra 75 with the module tied to a bracket just below the glove compartment. there is a thread on the install...
I like it.... my HAM radio will take up other areas so I like this compact CB setup.

I did a search and did not find this... Would you happen to have a link to the thread you refer to? I saw the one pertaining to the previous interior, but nothing for the 2011.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default X2

I am also interested in mounting ideas for the 2011.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a small uniden put in my console box on the 2011. I like the hidden look. the Cobra 75 is also great as you can locate the brain under the glovebox as others have done and make a hole in bottom of dash for the CB.

Although i have wired it directly to the battery I am in the middle of taking off the 2011 4WD shifter which is a pain in the ass. I cant seem to remove it to remove the center console and run the power how I want. The middle console is easy to remove except for this part im stuck on.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by o|||||||o
I did a search and did not find this... Would you happen to have a link to the thread you refer to? I saw the one pertaining to the previous interior, but nothing for the 2011.
My Cobra 75 CB and antenna install

i did everything this thread did except for the MIC mount to the dash. I also made my own bracket to the spare tire.
I currently just have the mic connected to the box going under the dash and the MIC is for now just going to lay by the shifter. I am not sure if I'm going to mount the MIC because the CB is only for Jeep runs and I will be installing my HAM radio once I complete bonding the Jeep to the frame and running power to the back.... I am still debating on exactly where to put the radio.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run a Uniden Pro 520. Its small size but solid build and good performance is what sold me. I used the included mounting bracket and just bolted it to the side of my center console (driver side) using factory hardware as I.didn't want any extra holes in my Jeep. Works great and doesn't get in the way at all. For the antenna I purchased the cooltech license plate bracket.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is in my '10-- I would bet the same install can be done in the '11. Very easy and very clean. Crutchfield has the wiring harness and mount.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered mounting the radio overhead using a Arizone Rocky Road mount?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

I just bought a Midland 75-822 Handheld CB Radio. I didn't want anything to mount, and wanted the versatility of taking out of the Jeep - portable handheld. I may, in the future, mount a 4' firestick on the spare tire mount, but for now this will work fine. I only use the radio when wheeling or in caravan with others and the reduced range without the external antenna is not a problem.

Quick Reply: Looking for a decent CB install in a 2011