Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

My Portable CB Solution

Old 09-29-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Portable CB Solution

One of my co-workers is a HAM operator. At some point he gave me the idea of mounting an CB inside an ammo can with battery and such. I thought this would be great to loan out the trail mates who have not bought a CB.

Materials:
Cobra 18 WX ST II
12-volt 10.5 Ah Battery
90° Antenna elbow
Firestick II 2'
Two-Way Trailer Wiring Connector
Misc Wire & Connectors
2' Coax
.50 Cal Ammo Can

I soldiered all of my splices and connections to make sure everything worked. The battery had 1/4" blade connectors which held a little to well. When I tried to disconnect it after the test, I pulled the wire off the connector. Thus, I added the trailer connector for a quick disconnect.

The hardest part of this was cutting the hole for the radio to stick through the lid. I used a dremel, but it was not exactly ideal for this project. I probably used 8 cutting discs. In the end it looks like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0053.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	217119

I am pretty happy with the results. I let me brother use it on the trails a few days ago. It was still going strong after 8 hours. I would like to make a couple more if I can aquire the materials at a reasonable price.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	217118  
Old 09-29-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Junkie

nice! i really like it, how unique. that would be soo useful up here...some people just havent quite gotten into the cb thing yet
Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent idea
Old 09-29-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice idea but hows the SWR reading?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I need to buy another short section of coax to plug my SWR meter in. It gets great reception and transmits clearly. Since the Cobra 18 is known for being less than good, I would suspect the SWR is fairly low.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

How does the heat vent out of the can?
Over time you will cook your electronics from the heat they dissipate.

Great look though!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default Power?

Originally Posted by Mixilpidilstick
One of my co-workers is a HAM operator. At some point he gave me the idea of mounting an CB inside an ammo can with battery and such. I thought this would be great to loan out the trail mates who have not bought a CB.

Materials:
Cobra 18 WX ST II
12-volt 10.5 Ah Battery
90° Antenna elbow
Firestick II 2'
Two-Way Trailer Wiring Connector
Misc Wire & Connectors
2' Coax
.50 Cal Ammo Can

I soldiered all of my splices and connections to make sure everything worked. The battery had 1/4" blade connectors which held a little to well. When I tried to disconnect it after the test, I pulled the wire off the connector. Thus, I added the trailer connector for a quick disconnect.

The hardest part of this was cutting the hole for the radio to stick through the lid. I used a dremel, but it was not exactly ideal for this project. I probably used 8 cutting discs. In the end it looks like this.

Attachment 217119

I am pretty happy with the results. I let me brother use it on the trails a few days ago. It was still going strong after 8 hours. I would like to make a couple more if I can aquire the materials at a reasonable price.
Looks good! Where and how you powering it up?
Thanks
Old 09-30-2011, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beantownblue
How does the heat vent out of the can?
Over time you will cook your electronics from the heat they dissipate.

Great look though!
I didn't notice it getting hot after a whole days use. Most CB radios don't put out much heat. I will keep an eye on it and add some vents if it gets too warm.

Also, there is some gap around the CB due to my lack of precision cutting equipment.

Originally Posted by Coltbuntline
Looks good! Where and how you powering it up?
Thanks
The CB is powered by the 12-volt Sealed Lead Acid battery. I am currently using a 12-volt car battery charger to recharge it. The low setting on the charger is 2 amps. I will probably add a 12-volt accessory plug to the case and make a male-to-male cable so it can charge off of the vehicles power. If I make it into Harbor Freight this weekend I will pick up a battery tender. They have them on sale.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

This is a sweet portable idea!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

Simply genius. You should change your name to Macgyver. I too would be interested in the SWR reading. Is that the full parts list? Being able to hook this up to the car via 12v would be simply awesome.

Quick Reply: My Portable CB Solution