Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Newbie to CB needs some help

Old 09-04-2010, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to CB needs some help

I just installed my CB set-up and believe everything is in working order. I followed the Cobra 29WXNWST tuning methods EXACTLY. Set to CAL mode, adjust needle to CAL arrow, then flip to SWR w/talk held. ch1, ch20, and ch40 are all within SWR specs of ~1.3-1.5 with ch1 being slightly lower than the others.

The problem is that when in normal S/RF mode every time I hit talk the SWR meter flies way up to 8-9.0, I do not know if this is normal, first time I've ever used a CB. I have no one near me who has a CB to test my actual send/receive signal. I get all weather channels loud and clear from a 30 mile away broadcast station. I'm using a Browning BR-28 antenna (6" steel base and coil + 49" whip) with a Wilson 901104 mounting base.

Another issue is that my coax antenna cable has what I assume is a hot lead and a grounding strap. When I grounded the strap back to the antenna (beneath the hot lead and insulated w/plastic disc) I got worse SWR readings in CAL mode. Thinking it wasn't a good ground I grabbed a piece of bare steel and the readings got even worse. Flipped over to the weather report and could barely make out the announcer with crackles. I wrapped the grounding strap in electrical tape and tucked it for the time being.

Anyone have some advice?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not familiar with that model...but when you're in "normal" mode, does that meter reflect SWR?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Jedi

When you are in normal S/RF mode, the needle should be swinging that far up to show power output....meaning you are actually transmitting....which is a good thing.

Sorry but I don't know what you are talking about as far as your ground goes. Are you saying you don't have a ground hooked up? Without seeing what you have going it's hard to comment. But if your reading good SWR and hearing good, as well as the needle showing good swing in the S/RF mode, I'd say you got everything set up pretty good.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

My cable looks like this:'

But instead of having one ring that connects to the antenna there are two. One has flat black insulation, the other has clear insulation. The black insulated one is not connected or grounded to anything, I wrapped the ring connector in electrical tape and tucked it away. Ill go out and grab a few pictures of my set-up in the morning.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by runit3
My cable looks like this:'

But instead of having one ring that connects to the antenna there are two. One has flat black insulation, the other has clear insulation. The black insulated one is not connected or grounded to anything, I wrapped the ring connector in electrical tape and tucked it away. Ill go out and grab a few pictures of my set-up in the morning.
One side of the ring is "Hot" and goes from the center conductor of your coax to your antenna. The other side is "Ground" and is connected to the sheilding wire that is in between your cnter conductor and your outer insulation. This is the side that needs to be grounded to give your antenna a good ground plane and reduce the amount of reflected power your antenna makes (better SWR Readings). You can use a Multi-Meter set to the Ohms scale to determine which ring goes where.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Newbie to CB needs some help