Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Noise on HF

Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
As Jeff has shown....FERRITES ARE YOUR FRIENDS...!!!! Have you checked with Amidon yet about their kits? They are a real good source. I also still think you can buy wrap around ferrites still from Rat Shack.
I use Jameco.com for small parts that are usually harder to find. Look at part #'s 218174 and 217842.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:22 AM
JK Freak

As Jeff has shown....FERRITES ARE YOUR FRIENDS...!!!! Have you checked with Amidon yet about their kits? They are a real good source. I also still think you can buy wrap around ferrites still from Rat Shack.
I'll look into Amidon, I did check Rat Shack and the kid had that I have no idea what your talking about look when I asked !! LOL

Mike
N2MWL
Old 03-06-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by N2MWL
I'll look into Amidon, I did check Rat Shack and the kid had that I have no idea what your talking about look when I asked !! LOL

Mike
N2MWL
Yes.....I've seen that look... I found them by accident there a long time ago. They may not even stock them anymore. They are the type that are like a rectangle or square doughnut. They have plastic clips holding them together, and when you unclip them the farrites come apart so you can wrap your wires around them. Then you just put them back together and snap the clips. Pretty handy actually.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

Yes.....I've seen that look... I found them by accident there a long time ago. They may not even stock them anymore. They are the type that are like a rectangle or square doughnut. They have plastic clips holding them together, and when you unclip them the farrites come apart so you can wrap your wires around them. Then you just put them back together and snap the clips. Pretty handy actually.
Ok, I'll check into it some more when I get back in town.....On an unrelated note I might be buying an Icom 7K off my buddy Scott, we are trying to work out the details now....
Old 03-08-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by N2MWL
Ok, I'll check into it some more when I get back in town.....On an unrelated note I might be buying an Icom 7K off my buddy Scott, we are trying to work out the details now....
Another EXCELLENT radio....!!!

Good luck with that...
Old 03-08-2009, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeff
No new info. However I did write Jeep a letter and asked for technical assistance on solving the noise issues. I did this a few years back with a GMC truck and GM sent me a manual they used to install Communications radios for Federal Park agents, and one of the Engineers contacted me. They were very helpful. We tracked the noise down to the computer. I put a flat ferrite on the ribbon cable and fixed it.

We will see what Jeep comes up with.

N4XGI
Well I heard back frpm Jeep. Very nice guy named John called me. I could tell he had read my letter and done some research. But not much help. He suggested I go to a radio shop that installs radios for police, etc.

So I have been looking for a improved set of plug wires. May have to make a set.

I wanted to remind everyone that not all ferrites are created equal.
Amidon Ferrites Mix 31 work for HF. They make snap on beads that are easy to install. You can also get them from DX engineering.

N4XGI
Old 03-08-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Jeff
Well I heard back frpm Jeep. Very nice guy named John called me. I could tell he had read my letter and done some research. But not much help. He suggested I go to a radio shop that installs radios for police, etc.

So I have been looking for a improved set of plug wires. May have to make a set.

I wanted to remind everyone that not all ferrites are created equal.
Amidon Ferrites Mix 31 work for HF. They make snap on beads that are easy to install. You can also get them from DX engineering.

N4XGI
Well that's a drag that the Jeep guy wan't much help. I forgot about resister type plug wires....that might help for sure.
Yes, very true about the ferrites and thanks for bringing that up...I'd forgotten about that too
Old 03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

Another EXCELLENT radio....!!!

Good luck with that...
Thanks, were working on it !!
Old 03-10-2009, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by petrus
Jeff: ferrite on the power lead sounds promising, thanks!

Dave: Yeah, the noise blanker on the IC7000 is actually pretty good, just need to do better. To be more specific, I should have said "S9 without the noise blanker, at highway speed" in the original post.

pete AA8L
Any luck yet Pete?
Old 03-11-2009, 03:39 AM
JK Freak

The deal on the 7k fell thru, but I am high bidder on a 756Pro for the house...I'm going to give Tarheel a call when I get home later today and see what they say about Jeep noise..Looks like a Tarheel will be my antenna of choice for the JK..

Last edited by N2MWL; 03-11-2009 at 04:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Noise on HF