Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Noob here

Old 11-22-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob here

I saw something today on Fox News about ham radio licenses and applications being at an all time high. I have always sort of wondered about this hobby and it certainly seems to fit in with the other things I do (aside from being a husband and dad). Sooooo...
1.) What does it take to get into this? How does one go about getting a license and a start-up radio rig?
2.) What does it take to get an all-around versatile mobile HAM set-up in a JK? By this I mean a set-up that does NOT rival what you would find in a US military mobile command comms HMMWV. I am not after dropping $25K into a rig

I looked on the 'Net and found several used radios. There were some Kenwood units on eBay that looked great, but the were PRICEY!!! Any advice on this? anyone in the Shreveport, LA area care to take a noob under the wing to help a noob get started? I can't exactly put a 80-foot antenna in my backyard, though. The wife might not like that idea too much.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepguy553
I saw something today on Fox News about ham radio licenses and applications being at an all time high. I have always sort of wondered about this hobby and it certainly seems to fit in with the other things I do (aside from being a husband and dad). Sooooo...
1.) What does it take to get into this? How does one go about getting a license and a start-up radio rig?
2.) What does it take to get an all-around versatile mobile HAM set-up in a JK? By this I mean a set-up that does NOT rival what you would find in a US military mobile command comms HMMWV. I am not after dropping $25K into a rig

I looked on the 'Net and found several used radios. There were some Kenwood units on eBay that looked great, but the were PRICEY!!! Any advice on this? anyone in the Shreveport, LA area care to take a noob under the wing to help a noob get started? I can't exactly put a 80-foot antenna in my backyard, though. The wife might not like that idea too much.
It's quite easy. Go to your local ham store or order the new Technician class manual. You have to take a 25 question test (allt he questions bank and answers are in that book)

Your tech will get you on the local repeaters and limited High frequency privileges. That is the best place to start, Buy the book. if you don;t like what you read then your only out $25.

as far as rigs you can go as simple or as elaborate as you want. It just depends on what you wanna do in the hobby and you won;t know that till you dive in but you can get a good mobile rig to do 2-4 bands for sub $500. i personally have about $1k in my system. I have an ft-857d by yeasu but I'm interested in all band HF work in my JK (kinda a communications war wagon for contesting and DX). But yea it';s like jeeping you can get deep if you want.

Start off with the tech book and it will teach you everything you need.

http://www.amazon.com/ARRL-Ham-Radio...1994655&sr=8-5
Old 11-22-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi

Look for a local HAM radio club there in your city. If not, go to http://www.arrl.org/

They should be able to get you started. Oh and many times the local college will have information.

Oh and you can get a good basic 2 meter mobile for less than $200.... http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011362

Last edited by AK4Dave; 11-22-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

This is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks gents! I like that Kenwood radio. That's what I use in my 1989 Wagoneer and in my house...all Kenwood stuff. Would it be correct to assume that the Kenwood unit is a basic starter radio? I have been browsing the 'Net and found all sorts of info on stuff like bonding the body and chassis. Would that help with TX/RX for this radio?

The reason I ask all of this is that I am in the process of doing more mods to my JK ('08 4-dr Sahara) and a radio is definitely one of the mods to be done.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a couple of sites to help you as well.
http://www.hamtestonline.com/study.j...n=yw8l1nwvya94
http://www.eham.net/exams/
Good Luck.
Hope these help you out.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks gents! I like that Kenwood radio. That's what I use in my 1989 Wagoneer and in my house...all Kenwood stuff. Would it be correct to assume that the Kenwood unit is a basic starter radio? I have been browsing the 'Net and found all sorts of info on stuff like bonding the body and chassis. Would that help with TX/RX for this radio?

The reason I ask all of this is that I am in the process of doing more mods to my JK ('08 4-dr Sahara) and a radio is definitely one of the mods to be done.
For 2m and Fm work you don't have to go crazy on the bonding but for HF it is a must. I have 38 different boding points on my JK.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Jedi

If you're talking about the Kenwood 2m rig in the link I sent, I wouldn't really classify it as a "starter radio". It's just a nice basic 2m mobile. I would have to say that most "starter" radios are handhelds....it was for me. Understand that there are many "levels" (so to speak) that one can get involved with in HAM radio.....not that one is any better or less than the other. The different levels of licenses means more privileges.....access to more of the radio spectrum. It's just what interests you. If you feel you like VHF/UHF then you can get what they call a dual band radio which would have both bands in it....instead of just 2m. You can even by a 3 band mobile radio.....VHF/UHF and 6m. Actually there might even be a quad band rig out now.....I seem to remember?

From there you can get into all band radios, which would mean VHF/UHF/ and HF. Look at the Icom IC-7000. Of course in order to really utilize (enjoy) the radio you would need to get up to at least your General class license.

At this time I personally don't take part in VHF/UHF coms, even tho I do still have a nice Icom 2m rig. When I got into HF I pretty much let everything else go. Just doesn't appeal to me now, tho that may change. But there are all kinds of things you can do with VHF/UHF AND your computer...!!! As what was mentioned, RFI (noise from the jeep) shouldn't bother you much, if any, doing any VHF/UHF work. It's when a guy gets into HF, is where the headache begins....lol

Oh and btw.....I've been a Kenwood man for a long time too. In the shack is a Kenwood TS-950SDX.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave

Way too clean, I cant show a picture of my messy desk
Old 11-25-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi

Oh it don't look like that now............that was for the picture.......lol

Quick Reply: Noob here