Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Question regarding wiring Cb to power supply

Old 11-09-2007, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding wiring Cb to power supply

I've got a Cobra 18WXST-2 CB and off the back of the unit where the power wires are located, there are 3 wires Blk (ground), Red (pos main power) and an orange wire.
Now the power and Orange wire are Fused with a 4amp fuse (each).
according to the instructions the red connects to a constant power supply, while the orange connects to a power supply that cuts off when the ignition is killed. My question is do I have to go this route? I'd prefer to have constant power going to the CB , and just turn off the unit when it's not in use (not to mention I really dont want to pull the dash apart just to splice into one of the 12v accesory outlets...

according to the CB writeup, the cb was wired to the battery and fused... but seing how this unit uses what appears to be along the lines of 16-20 gauge wire and a 4 amp fuse, and the unit in the writeup used 14gauge wire which is rated for higher amps, what do I need to do... I really dont feel like popping those 4A fuses on a regular basis seeing how they will be behind the windshield trim panel...

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bump..... Anyone?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Taking the dash apart isn't that hard at all. Also, you will have both a switched and constant power source if you tap into the 12 volt power and lighter outlets in the bottom of the dash console.

Quick Reply: Question regarding wiring Cb to power supply