Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

What's your set up....

Old 11-01-2007, 02:02 AM
HEK
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your set up....

So forgive me for again beating a topic to death, but when I buy something I do lots of research and this is a greeat place to get opinions good and bad...
I'm finally ready for a CB, but then I started reading about the Cobra 75 and some people are having problems transmitting thatnow I'm not sure if I want this unit...so I ask who has what ( not who's on 1st please)...and if you would recommend it...( got an un expected bonus at work so now I don't have to wait for Xmas...)
Thanks...BTW I want to keep it arounf $250 max as I saw a complete set up @ a local vendor for around $348...way too much IMHO...thanks

HEK aka Hector

Last edited by HEK; 11-01-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a very typical setup:

Cobra 75WXST
Cooltech versamount (to mount near radio)
Firestik 3ft (4ft also available)
Firering/stud/coax
Teraflex tire carrier mount.
Grounding strap (DONT FORGET!!!)

Total cost around $190.

Another typical setup is the same, except swap out the Teraflex mount for the Cooltech Ultramount.

No problems transmitting here. I also bought a tuner, which was included in that price above. It cost around 25..so even cheaper if you know a place to get tuned (which is ultimately what I did!)
Old 11-01-2007, 09:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the cobra 75 also with a firestick mounted on the spare tire carrier. No problems to speak of. I need to put a grounding strap on the tail gate but that has nothing to do with the CB.

I would personally get a small cheap CB with PA that you can mount to the footman loop on the windshield.

Check out WOL write up http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...nd-model-1001z
Old 11-01-2007, 09:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by toad
X2 I love my Cobra 75. I got everything from one place (Northridge 4x4) and it's a clean set up.

how does this work? I've heard of people having issues, mostly it doesnt put out a strong signal...
Old 11-02-2007, 01:41 AM
JK Freak

Exclamation ouch

Originally Posted by toad
Well, it's worked the times I've used it. Mind you, I only use it on the trail. It might help to have a big stik

4' Firestik that is but that's just a guess

Toad that is wrong in so many ways.... That is not even fair........no comebacks come to mind...
Old 11-02-2007, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HEK
So forgive me for again beating a topic to death, but when I buy something I do lots of research and this is a greeat place to get opinions good and bad...
I'm finally ready for a CB, but then I started reading about the Cobra 75 and some people are having problems transmitting thatnow I'm not sure if I want this unit...so I ask who has what ( not who's on 1st please)...and if you would recommend it...( got an un expected bonus at work so now I don't have to wait for Xmas...)
Thanks...BTW I want to keep it arounf $250 max as I saw a complete set up @ a local vendor for around $348...way too much IMHO...thanks

HEK aka Hector
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

Read through this link. One thing I've learned being a truck driver for 5 years is not to take the cheap route when it comes down to a cb. If you take that route, you will always spend more in the long run fixing what goes wrong than you would if you did it right the first time. This link has almost every answer to all the questions you could ask. As for all radio's being equal, That's not true. Federal law regulates all cb power to 4 watts. If you do a search on cb shops, you'll find alot of places that peak and tune cb's to obtain the max power that the cb can put out. They can range from 4 watts to 300 watts. I would recomend somewhere in the 15 to 25 watt range. With a good 4' antenna,you could probally get anywhere from a 3 to 5 mile range with that wattage. I'm not saying 4 watts can't send 3 miles, it could on a good day. But there's always interference on the air waves that could hamper how far you can transmitt and receive. I guess I'm getting long winded here so I hope this helps you in deciding what to do.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:20 AM
HEK
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Red Rubi
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

Read through this link. One thing I've learned being a truck driver for 5 years is not to take the cheap route when it comes down to a cb. If you take that route, you will always spend more in the long run fixing what goes wrong than you would if you did it right the first time. This link has almost every answer to all the questions you could ask. As for all radio's being equal, That's not true. Federal law regulates all cb power to 4 watts. If you do a search on cb shops, you'll find alot of places that peak and tune cb's to obtain the max power that the cb can put out. They can range from 4 watts to 300 watts. I would recomend somewhere in the 15 to 25 watt range. With a good 4' antenna,you could probally get anywhere from a 3 to 5 mile range with that wattage. I'm not saying 4 watts can't send 3 miles, it could on a good day. But there's always interference on the air waves that could hamper how far you can transmitt and receive. I guess I'm getting long winded here so I hope this helps you in deciding what to do.
Thanks Red Rubi...back in 1978 I started driving cross country on a 18 wheeler but have since retired to work in a more stable, less stressfull career...but yes I did read this link some time before, now it's all about which place I buy it from and which mount do I want...the Cobra 75 is my choice even thou I'm not too crazy about the xternal speaker.... and I think the license plate mount is what I want as I may one day forget and drive into my garage and rip something off...
Originally Posted by TheDog218
I got my setup as a kit for 179 from david at northridge it gives you everything you need and no problems to speak of
I saw that deal, but does it include the tire or license mount??...don't think so...

I found the Cobra 75 for under $90 when I Google it...so the northirdge may not be a good deal after all....any thoughts...
Old 11-02-2007, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Hey JackMac could you please give me some of the details of your setup. More spcifically how you installed and worked with the teraflex mount? I'm getting rediculous SWR readings with my setup.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepSky
Hey JackMac could you please give me some of the details of your setup. More spcifically how you installed and worked with the teraflex mount? I'm getting rediculous SWR readings with my setup.
Sure thing...I had best results with the mount by doing this:

a) grind the edges around the bolt holes. the powder coat doesn't allow for a good ground.

b) add a pcbs grounding strap to the tailgate. It made all the difference in getting a good SWR reading.

I've had mine installed on both the right side as intended, and on the left side upside down. I did this to keep my Firestik 3ft below the roof line. So far it gets great readings in both positions, but this is with the soft top so theres not much in way of interference.

Once I put the hard top back on here in a few days I plan on having the SWR rechecked. It might need adjusting.

Let me know if you need anymore info or pics.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=HEK;222889]Thanks Red Rubi...back in 1978 I started driving cross country on a 18 wheeler but have since retired to work in a more stable, less stressfull career...but yes I did read this link some time before, now it's all about which place I buy it from and which mount do I want...the Cobra 75 is my choice even thou I'm not too crazy about the xternal speaker.... and I think the license plate mount is what I want as I may one day forget and drive into my garage and rip something off...

Well IMHO I would go with any thing other than the cobra 75. It's probally easier to install than a traditional cb. There's over a million truck drivers in the US and I'd be willing to bet that not one of them has a cobra 75 in there truck. Most all cb shops stopped selling them because there's to much to go wrong and there not that easy to fix because everything runs through the mic. For example, if the mic fails on the other units, you can just replace the mic. If it fails on the cobra 75, you have to replace the whole unit. But that's just my opinion. The license plate bracket looks great, mounts directly to the body and gets a good ground.

Quick Reply: What's your set up....