Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Radio Shack, a "c'mon man" moment...

Old 02-26-2012, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Radio Shack, a "c'mon man" moment...

so I stopped by my local radio shack yesterday to purchase an SWR meter. I figured a place called "Radio Shack" would have some basic components for CB radios. Nope. They offer one unit (which costs $35 btw) and it wasn't in stock. I also saw TV sets on the wall for sale. If I'm going to buy a TV, I'll go to Best Buy. If i want RADIO components ... well, I guess Radio Shack isn't the place.

I can tell these guys must be struggling. It seems like in trying diversify their market, they've lost their identity. That will probably be my last trip ever to Radio Shack. A shame really.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing they sell at the one around here are cell phones and head phones. just another sign of the way things are changing.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well they have re branded to "The Shack".

Our local one the area hams still go to and buy from so they still carry quite a bit of nice electronic part but nothing too incredibly hard to find.

It's a sign of the disposable world we live in. Used to be I'd have a tv go out and then go down to radio shack to buy a diode to replace it. anymore they just say pitch it and get a new one...... sad to know My grandchildren might not know the smell of a soldiering iron
Old 02-27-2012, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpaulson
Used to be I'd have a tv go out and then go down to radio shack to buy a diode to replace it. anymore they just say pitch it and get a new one...... sad to know My grandchildren might not know the smell of a soldiering iron
Yeah, now if you ask for a diode you'll just get a blank stare.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I lost faith in Radio Shack when the discontinued the battery club card program.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

If you want a marked-up cell phone, then "The Shack" is the place to go. If you want electronic pieces-parts, look online because "The Shack" probably won't have them unless they are commonly needed items such as switches and fuses. I went into one here a few weeks ago looking for a DPDT switch for my Wagoneer project and guess what...they DIDN'T keep it in stock. They have all sorts of iPod crap though.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Radio shack may as well merge with Sears. They are headed for the same fate.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

A friend of mine likes to tell about going into a RS for an electronic part. He's very electronics savvy & also knows where his local RS keeps stuff. When approached by a noob salesperson:

NSP: "Hi, can I help you find something today?"
Friend: "No thanks, I'm in a hurry"

Old 02-27-2012, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every time I go there, when they ask if I need help I say " yes " do you have such and such. they say " sorry we don't have that" .then I tell them here let me show you where its at. There just cashiers that work there, its rare that you find someone who knows anything.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rich6700
Every time I go there, when they ask if I need help I say " yes " do you have such and such. they say " sorry we don't have that" .then I tell them here let me show you where its at. There just cashiers that work there, its rare that you find someone who knows anything.
Several years ago I went into RS to get an antenna mast. The cashier sad they don't carry anything like that. Then I gave him the catalog number and his attitude turned sour on me. He went in the back and retrieved the antenna mast and dropped it on the ground in front of me. I had a good laugh knowing that something so simple ruined his day.

Quick Reply: Radio Shack, a "c'mon man" moment...