Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Running power wires, and coax etc.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ClownBaby
Running 2 amps. Equal to around 800 RMS watts of power or 1600 watts of peake power. If I went w/ smaller wire, I'd be blowing up the wire.

Jack: Sorry I keep bringing up the rubber cement up. Honestly to tell you. I didn't use any rubber cement. All I did was poke a small hole through it and ran the 2 gauge wire through it. That way it's tight around the wire and makes a perfect seal. But they have heavy duty rubber cement that you can use.
Sorry I kept saying I used rubber cement. I meant to say was, if you must, you can use it.

Also, the reaon for me to use that area is only because my amps are right under my seats so it's very convenient.

I don't know where you get these ideas that Jeeps will leak water and bla bla bla. Unless your Jeep is really old and has really worn out, it's not going to leak any water inside. Unless you took out all the drain plugs and sat in the water for a while. There's just not enough pressure from such a little hole to force water in as you're all thinking.

But when I run smaller wires, for CB, I'll use upper part of the firewall as I've seen other's do.

I always get a kick out of claimed power ratings for auto amps. I know I'l ruffle some feathers here, but I do not believe in putting supposed "high power" amps in vehicles. It's a big joke, you can't get more out of an amp than you put in without something else suffering.Look close at the actuals, like the distortion level at the claimed power output. There's a reason why a Levinson, Linn, Theta or Rotel amp is expensive. It's because they reproduce the music very faithfully, not just bone jarring loud. Go to a high end shop and listen to an amp that puts out a true 800 RMS. For that matter, listen to a 35 watt high end tube amp, I'll bet you'll be suprised
Old 06-14-2007, 12:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know where you get these ideas that Jeeps will leak water and bla bla bla. Unless your Jeep is really old and has really worn out, it's not going to leak any water inside. Unless you took out all the drain plugs and sat in the water for a while. There's just not enough pressure from such a little hole to force water in as you're all thinking.

But when I run smaller wires, for CB, I'll use upper part of the firewall as I've seen other's do.
No, I'm with you..I fully expect it to be water tight for now..I'm thinking long term, that's all. I plan on keeping this jeep for a long long time.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by John L
I always get a kick out of claimed power ratings for auto amps. I know I'l ruffle some feathers here, but I do not believe in putting supposed "high power" amps in vehicles. It's a big joke, you can't get more out of an amp than you put in without something else suffering.Look close at the actuals, like the distortion level at the claimed power output. There's a reason why a Levinson, Linn, Theta or Rotel amp is expensive. It's because they reproduce the music very faithfully, not just bone jarring loud. Go to a high end shop and listen to an amp that puts out a true 800 RMS. For that matter, listen to a 35 watt high end tube amp, I'll bet you'll be suprised
I am at a loss on what to do for my system... (1CD player, no infinity).. In open air it just plain sucks.. kind of like listening to am in the 60's...

I wish there was something fairly simple to relpace it or add to it that would bring the sound quality up without making it a tuner* or boom box...
Old 06-14-2007, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by captsam54
I am at a loss on what to do for my system... (1CD player, no infinity).. In open air it just plain sucks.. kind of like listening to am in the 60's...

I wish there was something fairly simple to relpace it or add to it that would bring the sound quality up without making it a tuner* or boom box...
There are so many out there that think if they have enough quantity it turns into quality....when it's the exact opposite. A good solid amp with low distortion figures is a good place to start, efficient speakers (high SPL ratings) are also a plus. Good luck with your system, keep us posted.
I rarely turn the radio on in the jeep, I keep my music hardware at home in a better acoustical environment than a vehicle will ever be able to provide.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

First of all, it's funny how you come in here, throw a few names like Rothel and Levinson and you're a audio guru? I bet you just googled up RMS right now.
Ok enough w/ da jokes. I don't even know where to begin w/ your comment. I'll just leave it alone.

Captsam: The factory system just sux. Sorry bro. Even the Infinity...when you have your top down, doors off. I however, do not suffer that issue. I get clear sound from all of my speakers and a good bass from my 10" sub. I know my sub has more potential but I'd have to change the box completely to fiberglass to get more space out of it. I'll work on that. But for now, I am happy w/ what it's doing. But if you want to get more into details on what you can do for a budget, let me know. I can give you some ideas that might put you in the right direction w/out filing bankruptcy. LOL
Old 06-14-2007, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
No, I'm with you..I fully expect it to be water tight for now..I'm thinking long term, that's all. I plan on keeping this jeep for a long long time.
Bro, worse comes to worse, I have to buy a drain plug for $2-$5 in a few years. I think you are having the wrong idea of what I exactly did. I'll try to get a detalied picture for you one day and show you.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

First of all, it's funny how you come in here, throw a few names like Rothel and Levinson and you're a audio guru? I bet you just googled up RMS right now.
Ok enough w/ da jokes. I don't even know where to begin w/ your comment. I'll just leave it alone.

Captsam: The factory system just sux. Sorry bro. Even the Infinity...when you have your top down, doors off. I however, do not suffer that issue. I get clear sound from all of my speakers and a good bass from my 10" sub. I know my sub has more potential but I'd have to change the box completely to fiberglass to get more space out of it. I'll work on that. But for now, I am happy w/ what it's doing. But if you want to get more into details on what you can do for a budget, let me know. I can give you some ideas that might put you in the right direction w/out filing bankruptcy. LOL

Umm..its Rotel. The brands I mentioned are all highly respected names in the audio game. Sorry that you've never heard of them. Just go to a high end shop and let them show you what can really be done with just a few watts. I'll be serving the crow when you get back here
Old 06-14-2007, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok Rotel, B&W, KEF, Krell, Focal, Cinenova, Sumiko, Morel, Classe, NHT, Niles Audio, Velodyne, Paradigm, NAD, Lexicon Totem Acoustic, Marantz........you want me to continue? Yes I'm very smart now because I know all of these names. Listen buddy, O order any and every single Home Theater, Audio magazines there are. I spend hundreds of $$$ on reading them every year and have all of the new stuff you probably dreamed of buying one day.
Relax and stop talking about BS. Dont worry about what audio I have....
It's like me coming in this forum and telling a Jeep guru that they're an idiot...
Old 06-14-2007, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok Rotel, B&W, KEF, Krell, Focal, Cinenova, Sumiko, Morel, Classe, NHT, Niles Audio, Velodyne, Paradigm, NAD, Lexicon Totem Acoustic, Marantz........you want me to continue? Yes I'm very smart now because I know all of these names. Listen buddy, O order any and every single Home Theater, Audio magazines there are. I spend hundreds of $$$ on reading them every year and have all of the new stuff you probably dreamed of buying one day.
Relax and stop talking about BS. Dont worry about what audio I have....
It's like me coming in this forum and telling a Jeep guru that they're an idiot...
Hmmm.....you're pretty good at google. Too bad you missed the mark on half of what you listed. You're putting mid level brands with high end brands....NAD against a Levinson? Marantz had their day decades ago, they are but a thin shell of what they once were. Want me to continue?
Again you ignore my challange to go and listen in person to a REAL system.
Maybe you don't have access to a high end store. Pity. As far as owning, my system would buy three jeeps just like yours.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm.....you're pretty good at google. Too bad you missed the mark on half of what you listed. You're putting mid level brands with high end brands....NAD against a Levinson? Marantz had their day decades ago, they are but a thin shell of what they once were. Want me to continue?
Again you ignore my challange to go and listen in person to a REAL system.
Maybe you don't have access to a high end store. Pity. As far as owning, my system would buy three jeeps just like yours.
Yet you can only afford to buy a 2 door X model....hmm
Get over it kid

Quick Reply: Running power wires, and coax etc.