Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Silverstar Headlamp bulbs????

Old 04-24-2007, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverstar Headlamp bulbs????

Just wondering if anyone has purchased these and if they are any good. I saw them on quadratec and they don't look too bad. I read up on the HID conversion kits and they seem expensive and unsafe. So any ideas on upgrading these headlights for cheap?? Thought bulbs might help some. Is this the best bulb I can get without changing my whole setup?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have them and i like them, they are not as bright or pricey as HID's (obviously) but they are better than stock for sure.

I don't know if there is a better alternative or not.

Actually, it seems lighting is more subjective than you would think. I adjusted my headlights, so did the dealership, they absolutley sucked on highbeam. Lows & fogs where great though. My better half thought they were fine the way they were, she couldnt understand why i didnt like them. She has said since i changed them out that the Silverstars are better, but not as much as i seem to think. *shrugs* I guess she just sees better in the dark, i need more light.

oh, if you use the search thingy over there----> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/search.php and just type "silverstar" there are about 14 or 15 postings about this subject, there are more opinions in there good & bad alike about them, i dont want to rehash all that here, but it may be worth a read to you.
For me, they were a good balance of better performance and cost.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just bought and installed them tonight. Let me tell you that they made one heck of a difference! For a whopping $35 for both i highly reccommend you buy them! I traded in my Lexus with Xeons for my JK and they are not quite as good but almost. Id say 100 times better than stock.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

What are the Silverstar replacement numbers? I know I'm lazy but I want to get the correct ones when I go to the parts store.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-26-2007, 05:16 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jameswharton
What are the Silverstar replacement numbers? I know I'm lazy but I want to get the correct ones when I go to the parts store.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim, the bulbs are "H13" I just went to Autozone and grabbed them off of the rack. I don't have the package to give you the Sylvania numbers offhand, but the owner's manual has a list of all the bulb types on page 394 if you forget the numbers.

"Page 394 - Maintaining your vehicle

Exterior Lights Bulb Type

Backup Lights (2). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3157
Center High Mounted Stop Light (1) . . . . . . . . . . . . L.E.D.
Fog Lights. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9145
Front Park/Turn Lights (2) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3157
Front Side Marker Lights (2). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 168
Headlights (2) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . H13
Stop/Tail/Turn Lights (2) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3157
Underhood Light. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 561
License Light . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 194

NOTE:
Numbers refer to commercial bulb types that can be purchased from your local authorized dealer.
If a bulb needs to be replaced, visit your authorized dealer or refer to the applicable Service Manual.

BULB REPLACEMENT

Head Light
1. Open hood and support using prop rod.
2. Remove the front grille. Turn the retainers along the top 1/4 turn counter-clockwise and remove.
3. Pull the bottom of the grille away starting at one side and working toward the other.
4. Turn both park and turn signal socket assemblies 1/4 turn counter-clockwise and remove.
5. Remove the four screws holding the metal retaining ring.
6. Remove the lamp from the collar.
7. Grasp the bulb and turn 1/4 turn counter-clockwise.
8. Pull the bulb from the housing."

I know Quadratec has them (and the fogs too) i am sure places like 4wd hardware etc. would have them as well. i think i paid about $18-20 each for the headlights (fogs are more about $25 each i think- didnt get those.)

Old 04-26-2007, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Happy!
Jim
Old 04-26-2007, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Cibie upgrade sounds like it will be around 100 dollars more than just adding the silverstar bulbs. Would the bulbs be worth it compared to other options like these?

Sounds kinda shady too how you have to go through this Daniel Stern joker and give him you CC number. thanks but no thanks.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've bought the Silverstar bulbs for the headlamps and I cannot say that I have noticed a real difference. After spending around 40$ for 2 bulbs I figured that, for the difference that they make, I should have gone the extra mile and got myself an HID kit. I know there are disagreements on this forum about the use of HID in Jeeps but I believe that since the lighting on the JKs is so deficient, purchasing an HID kit isn't such a bad idea. However, I agree with those saying that most people who go out and buy HID kits give their rides a kiddie racer bluish look but there are other bulb intensity to choose from (5000K) that give out a good, clear, almost white light.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

The part number is: H13ST
Just ordered them this weekend ($37 delivered for the pair) - will let you know in a few days what I think of them.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have these in my Cobra and love them. I will get the set for my JK as soon as one of the factory bulbs burns out.

Ty

Quick Reply: Silverstar Headlamp bulbs????