Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Stud Mount & Wire Question

Old 07-11-2010, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stud Mount & Wire Question

I just purchased a Teraflex antenna mount for the tail gate. It came with a stud mount with wire lug connection. I was going to buy the stud mount with the screw on connection. It seemed easier. Any reason to sell the one I got and buy a screw on stud mount? I need to buy my coax this so I can get it installed for the weekend trail ride. Any difference between the two types of connections/coax? Pics below for reference.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:59 AM
JK Super Freak

The only difference in the two is personal preference. The wire lug is easier to build.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by *Seth*
I just purchased a Teraflex antenna mount for the tail gate. It came with a stud mount with wire lug connection. I was going to buy the stud mount with the screw on connection. It seemed easier. Any reason to sell the one I got and buy a screw on stud mount? I need to buy my coax this so I can get it installed for the weekend trail ride. Any difference between the two types of connections/coax? Pics below for reference.

The lug type coax is easier to snake thru the tailgate and out to the antenna. There is also less chance of the connection failing I think. It is what I run. the coax will also have a ground from the outter wire of the coax. You ground it directly to the mount. The center wire doesn't get grounded.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the screw on connector is harder to get through the tailgate but i think it is worth it. i used a fish tape and it only took a couple of minutes. i used an 18' coax BTW.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brashanic
the screw on connector is harder to get through the tailgate but i think it is worth it. i used a fish tape and it only took a couple of minutes. i used an 18' coax BTW.
Why do you think it is worth it?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Highlander
The lug type coax is easier to snake thru the tailgate and out to the antenna. There is also less chance of the connection failing I think. It is what I run. the coax will also have a ground from the outter wire of the coax. You ground it directly to the mount. The center wire doesn't get grounded.
If I go with the lug connector, how do I wire it up? Is there a diagram I can refer to?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

Less chance of corrosion, for one thing.

That said, I have to wonder just how he's managed to pass a scew-on connector through the gate ok JK, because it definitely looks impossible to me. I actually tried to do it, and eventually passed the unconnected cable and installed the connector on the other side.

-- Pete
Old 07-13-2010, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

i just think it is easier and less chance for broken wire, corrosion, ect......
Originally Posted by zaitcev
Less chance of corrosion, for one thing.

That said, I have to wonder just how he's managed to pass a scew-on connector through the gate ok JK, because it definitely looks impossible to me. I actually tried to do it, and eventually passed the unconnected cable and installed the connector on the other side.

-- Pete
the barrel fits right through the hole for the third brake light wire. then i cut a slot in the grommet and put it all back in the hole.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Seth if you have the fire wire with the ring at one end you can improve the performance by putting a PL-259 connector (screws in) in place of the ring. It is easy and cheap to do. I will solder it for you at the next suds and grub or if you are in the Santee area you can drop by any time. Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Seth if you have the fire wire with the ring at one end you can improve the performance by putting a PL-259 connector (screws in) in place of the ring. It is easy and cheap to do. I will solder it for you at the next suds and grub or if you are in the Santee area you can drop by any time. Hope this helps.
I appreciate the offer. My mount actually came with a lug connector. I was checking to see if that is what I should go with or get the screw on type. I guess I just need to pick up some coax with the lug connector at the other end. I just don't know how to put it all together. I'll do some searching.

Quick Reply: Stud Mount & Wire Question