Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

SWR all over the map.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Ah, I see. I was referring to running the cable inside the rear door, with the existing harness for the third brake light.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Ah, I see. I was referring to running the cable inside the rear door, with the existing harness for the third brake light.
I was too lazy to run it that way . I took the easy way and it seals great as the rubber molds around the coax without pinching it. still it bugs me that I can not get it to go high now. I don't want to blow my radio if it decides to go wacko again. thanks for throwing out ideas as that helps. thanks jeff
Old 01-04-2015, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suspect an intermittent ground since I don't see any provision for a ground from the antenna to the tub or frame in your pic. Hinges will not supply a dependable ground. I would suggest a ground wire from the base of the antenna or the mount (provided all finish has been removed from the bottom of the mount where the antenna lug passes through) to either the tub or frame. This is a commonly forgotten step in antenna installations and often results in exactly what you're experiencing.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:57 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Old Syko
I would suspect an intermittent ground since I don't see any provision for a ground from the antenna to the tub or frame in your pic. Hinges will not supply a dependable ground. I would suggest a ground wire from the base of the antenna or the mount (provided all finish has been removed from the bottom of the mount where the antenna lug passes through) to either the tub or frame. This is a commonly forgotten step in antenna installations and often results in exactly what you're experiencing.
I have the ground wire that runs to the tub.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrighty then.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try it without the spring.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:22 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Old Syko
Alrighty then.
it is very perplexing I have tried it several times over the last couple of days and it has stayed low so I do not know why it was acting strange for a couple of days.

Quick Reply: SWR all over the map.