Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

UHF/VHF antenna what works on a JK

Old 09-04-2011, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the dif between dual band and cb I'm new to this and was looking into getting a cb for the trails
Old 09-04-2011, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGag
What's the dif between dual band and cb I'm new to this and was looking into getting a cb for the trails
The Dual Band being referred to is Amateur Radio Bands (Ham Radio), the most prevalent dual band radio is the 144MHz/440Mhz version, unlike the Citizen Band (CB) that you're looking at purchasing.

Transmitting on the Amateur Radio Bands requires an FCC License.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RodCyn

The Dual Band being referred to is Amateur Radio Bands (Ham Radio), the most prevalent dual band radio is the 144MHz/440Mhz version, unlike the Citizen Band (CB) that you're looking at purchasing.

Transmitting on the Amateur Radio Bands requires an FCC License.
Thanks for the info going to purchase one tommorrow when I cash my check any recommendations
Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 AM
JK Jedi

Thanks for the info going to purchase one tommorrow.......
Did you read that it requires taking a test and getting a FCC license to talk on one? Anybody can buy one, and listen all they want. But if you want to talk to others on a HAM radio, you need the license.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave

Did you read that it requires taking a test and getting a FCC license to talk on one? Anybody can buy one, and listen all they want. But if you want to talk to others on a HAM radio, you need the license.
No, I knew nothing about this what happens if u dnt have a license? How do they know?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:03 AM
JK Newbie

most hams will self-police and wont engage in conversation with non hams. also a big part of the distance we get as hams comes from the fact we use open repeaters located around the area.

the repeater monitors generally check out anyone they dont know as far as their call sign being legit.

n2uta
Old 09-08-2011, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi

No, I knew nothing about this what happens if u dnt have a license? How do they know?
As HAMs, when you are in a qso (conversation) on the radio, you have to identify yourself every 10 minutes by giving out your call sign. Just like a broadcast music radio station you hear. They too are required by the FCC to identify themselves.

Plus the fact is that if you get on the air on the HAM bands and don't use the HAM "lingo" or your call sign........it's not hard to tell a person is not a HAM.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 09-08-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

the Tech test isn't hard kids the age of 12-18 (and younger) get their Tech license all the time.

Also if you get caught using someone else call sign you can be fined........ rightly so..

stay with the CB if you don't want the hassle of taking what is a pretty easy test..

better yet study a little.. and get your license....
Old 09-18-2011, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AK4Dave

Love your screen name btw......:beer :
Thanks! I started using that after getting my ham ticket. You'd be surprised how many don't get it.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gs2offroad
Larsen 2/70B on a Diamond K400 mount attached to the hood, bomb proof:

Attachment 203346
I have a similar mount, one of my antennas is a Comet SSB2 that appears to require the mount to be grounded. Did you ground your mount? If so, how? Instructions say to cut the aluminum protector inside short and set two of the screws into the paint, don't really want to do that.

Quick Reply: UHF/VHF antenna what works on a JK