Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

09 dealer installed Infinity upgrade stereo?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an X and now have a Sahara in both Jeeps I replaced out the speaker forsure the speakers are different. The infinity speaker are even heavier in weight Tweeter are different. I have both sets in my house right now. So forsure the are different.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

Just wanted to give everyone a follow-up on what has transpired with the Infinity upgrade.

Please note that after hours of research and talking with several members on the forum and several high end stereo shops you cannot upgrades from the stock system to the infinity system! Why? it's a completely different dash wiring harness. Yes, you can replace the stock speakers with the Infinity speakers... and yes it does sound better but not like the stock Infinity system... why? Well for one you cannot add the Infinity amp because as stated above the wiring harness is different and you cannot plug into the head unit.. second is since you don't have the amp you cannot run the stock sub.

As my early post stated the dealer assured me that they could upgrade to the Infinity system.. not the case... learning lesson for everyone.

So what did the dealership do? Leith Jeep in Cary N.C... they stuck to their word and did whatever I wanted to make sure I was a happy customer!

So I went from the stock stereo system with single CD and sat radio to the following!

Stock radio with single CD and sirrius
JL Audio HD 600 amplifier 150x4 mounted under the front seat
JL Audio XR series component speakers in front dash w/ tweets in pods
JL Audio XR series 6 1/2 in soundbar
JL Audio 13 inch stealth box sub made specifically for Jeep JK!!!!!!!!

Yep... we are talking about $2,600.00 in a stereo upgrade with install that the dealer covered $2,300.00! out of pocket to me $300.00. I can't say enough about the Leith dealership in Cary NC... they stuck to their word and made me happy!

O.k. so how does it sound.... great! (with a few more tweaks).

**disclaimer** I competed in IASCA car audio events in the early 90's so I'm a little picky...

JL HD 600 amp- great little amp.. will mount under your front seat but will not fit in the stock Infinity amp location under the dash... this amp cranks for being so small. I'm running it bridged right now... it's a 4 channel amp so I'm running the dash and soundbar speakers off the front and then bridged the rear channels to the JL stealthbox sub... amp rocks.... plays way louder than you can stand and the audio is clear, plenty of punch... butt... no front to rear fader. Since the front channels are running the dash and soundbar I have lost the front to rear fader... now that may not seem important but since the amp is running full power to those speakers the soundbar speakers really crank and you lose some of your front imaging... now don't get me wrong you can still hear the fronts its just the soundbar speakers are over you head and you can really hear them... **remember if you are running stock sytem the soundbar speakers are not running with full power going to them**

JL audio xr series components in the front and JL 6 1/2 in the soundbar... they sound really good... as in really good. Mids are nice and tight and the highs are wonderful. I can't say enough about JL speakers. I am going to play with the crossover a little as both sets of speakers are really bright.. may try to adjust the crossover slope and see if I can tone them down a little.

JL audio stealthbox sub... made for the jeep jk. incredible! perfect size... matches perfect to the interior carpet. Does not take up a ton a space.. still can access the hidden cargo area in the floor. Sub is 13.3 inches I think... It's not cheap but it's perfect.. sub fires sideways into the rear passenger side fender... Why? well it's designed that way so when you take the top off you can still hear and feel the base... I took the doors and top off yesterday to prove the theory... yep... still can hear and feel tight base... Not boom boom muddy base... for those of you that want a great but not cheap sub and enclosure that does not take up the entire "trunk" area of your jeep... this is the sub to go with.. it sounds wonderful. I also added for $30 buck a sub volume control which is mounted under the center armrest... happy I did as I can adjust volume of the sub with different types of music. CAR Stereo and Security in Wake Forest N.C did the install and did a perfect job on the install. I highly rec. them. Chris and Mike really know what they are talking about and if you want to get technical and talk in depth about car audio... these are the guys to go to...

I will take some pictures this weekend and post...

Last edited by Captainmorgan; 05-24-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Please don't forget to show us the pictures !!!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 12:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad they fixed you up - like JL subs, but the rest of it is garbage. I'm not a big fan of sticking with one brand, but rather get what's best for what you're doing - kinda surprised you did being a former IASCA guy.

Either way, lets see some pictures of the JL setup - I bet it sounds a whole lot bettter than my stock infinity setup!

One last comment - you have a nice setup now, no doubt - get rid of that junk HU! Putting line level audio into that setup is down right criminal.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

HU is a criminal move on my part. Played around with some tweaks this weekend and I have some line noise in the right component tweater.... can you say line level... ouch. JL subs are great... and I'm a big fan of the entire JL speaker and amp line. Try to find a amp that is as small as the JL HD 600??? Please don't even go with the Alpine PDQ or PDX (whatever it is) I have heard both these amps side by side and the JL will pound the Alpine into the sand and will not fry your fingers off when you touch it.... I'm going to work with some more tweaks with speakers this week... actually really liking some Pioneers that I heard this weekend that are not as bright as the JL's... HU i'm doing my research but I'm really wanting to keep it simple...

will get some pics out soon.

Originally Posted by JackMac4
Glad they fixed you up - like JL subs, but the rest of it is garbage. I'm not a big fan of sticking with one brand, but rather get what's best for what you're doing - kinda surprised you did being a former IASCA guy.

Either way, lets see some pictures of the JL setup - I bet it sounds a whole lot bettter than my stock infinity setup!

One last comment - you have a nice setup now, no doubt - get rid of that junk HU! Putting line level audio into that setup is down right criminal.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are not the same speakers.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

I unplugged the tweeters in the rear 6 1/2 and it's not so bright now. Also was able to remove noise from front right tweeter with gain reduction on the amp. Sounds awesome!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the stock infinity system may not be a system that will wake up the neighborhood at 3am.. however the stock infinity system doesnt sund too bad with techno trance, country, rock, opera or anything that doesnt require boom-thump bass..

and i also dont have to worry about it coming up missing when I park my jeep out and about doorless and topless.... to me thats worth sacrificing a little sound quality.. i lost too many aftermarket radios in my TJ days...
-Christopher

Quick Reply: 09 dealer installed Infinity upgrade stereo?