Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

09 wrangler rubicon unlimited dash lights going nuts

Old 05-18-2018, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 wrangler rubicon unlimited dash lights going nuts

my sway bar light came on a couple of weeks ago and later all my lights in dash started flashing and hot oil message and chiming. dealer ship disabled my sway disc 2 days ago. now all lights flashing again and hot oil flashing but no sway bar light. help!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2018, 04:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

As weird as it sounds, a faulty battery has been known to cause crazy dash lights. I'd get your battery checked.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Same thing happens in my 2007, I call it the ghost in the machine. Finally was able to get it to the dealership WHILE it was happening. Grabbed a mechanic to come look at it, he had never seen anything like it. They ran diagnostics and found evidence that “there could be a short in the ABS controller, or in one of the connections.” I can’t remember if the part alone was over $500, or if that was for the whole job...but they admitted they didn’t know for sure if that would fix it. I decided it was more than I could spend at the time to start throwing parts at a problem that couldn’t confidently be identified. And the issue had already come and gone enough times for me to test my ABS and other driving accessories… Other than the annoying lights and dinging everything seemed to function fine. I’d lock my brakes up in snow but ABS still kicked in. This has been my daily driver with the ghost in the machine coming and going for about seven years. Usually once I reach my destination and turn the Jeep off, when I come back out and start up again it’s usually gone. Will still have a check engine light for a day or two. But then that goes away as well and everything continues to operate normally.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
As weird as it sounds, a faulty battery has been known to cause crazy dash lights. I'd get your battery checked.
I had a new battery installed last summer. Battery came from NAPA I guess it could be defective. I'll have it checked. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Or you have a bad connection at the battery... that'll do it as well.
Old 09-13-2023, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default Fixed

Faulty sway bar disconnect motor.
Old 09-13-2023, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

You need to unplug the connector to the swaybar, it has shorted out and is feeding back into the entire canbus system. when you unplug it you will likely see the burnt contact.

After I unplugged mine I then traced the harness back as far as I could, cut it off and sealed each individual wire.
You have several options it you need swaybar disconnect:
1. EVO makes a manual disconnect for the rubicon bar the replaces the motor and electronics.
2. Get a set of standard disconnects.
3. Replace the entire swaybar with a RockJock Antirock. (This was what I did.)
Old 09-16-2023, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jedg
Or you have a bad connection at the battery... that'll do it as well.
BINGO! This was my problem. I had the EXACT same random dinging and cluster resets happening as I drove. When I had hooked up my winch, I had put my winch ground wire on the 10mm tightening nut. It made a slight enough difference to have it go haywire. It got worse and worse as time went on too. I had someone comment about it, so I pulled my winch wires off and drove it a few days, zero malfunctions. I have since upgraded my cables and terminals to the ones sold by JeepCables.com . I am very happy with them and the quality. Now everything is properly hooked up and all in right in the world.

Quick Reply: 09 wrangler rubicon unlimited dash lights going nuts