Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

18 ga. Wire for switches

Old 06-08-2017, 01:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 ga. Wire for switches

Was thinking about running 18/7 A/C control wire from my rocker switches to relays in engine bay. I have 4-5 switches. I want to know if the 18 ga. Wire from 12v power bar to switches will be able to handle the load from 4-5 switches be all on at once.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

If that is solid wire, don't use it in a vehicle.
If the insulation isn't rated for automotive use, (temperature and chemical environment), don't use it.

Before you can know if 18awg is adequate, you need to know what amperage the circuits will have to carry.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

What ronjenx said. You didn't give us enough info. Powering a few led's, no problem. Trying to power an inverter, supplemental heater, frigerator, 18 gage no good.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want to use from rocker switches to relays, that is it. I have 5 rocker switches and 5 relays. With the 18/7, I could run power to switches, a ground and the 5 switch to relay wires all in one wire bundle. I will use 16 or 14 from relays to led light bars and elocker
Old 06-09-2017, 03:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Ok, so you are only switching the relays on and off which shouldn't take much current at all. The relays themselves then have the heavier gage for the power draw. Seems to me that 18 gage will be fine.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If that is solid wire, don't use it in a vehicle.
If the insulation isn't rated for automotive use, (temperature and chemical environment), don't use it.

Before you can know if 18awg is adequate, you need to know what amperage the circuits will have to carry.
I just want to add, for the sake of completeness (since it doesn't appear to be an issue for this particular install) that length of wire run versus voltage drop is also sometimes critical. For example, a 10 foot run for a 1.3 amp draw refrigerator of 16 gauge wire is too small. The refrigerator will get low voltage and shut down in order to preserve the battery all too soon. 12 gauge wire is recommended, even though that has way more current carrying capacity than what would at first blush seem necessary. Otherwise, the voltage drop makes the refrigerator think that the vehicle starter battery is weak, so it's trying its best to allow the vehicle to start. Another scenario is lighting: Drop 1.2 volts and you have a roughly 10 percent drop in lighting output for tungsten lights.

Quick Reply: 18 ga. Wire for switches