Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

OEM Radio upgrade questions

Old 06-07-2017, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Radio upgrade questions

Before I get hammered, yes I spent the last few days reading pages in this section of the forums.
Tons of great info and apparently tons of conflicting info between certain members.
Enough so, that I am a little confused.

Easy part, my JEEP https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/new-member-registry-21/new-jeeps-started-2010-a-342493/

OEM double DIN radio (am/fm cd player) with 4 speakers and tweeters.
No OEM amp or bass, no steering controls, no bluetooth or uconnect modules, and none of the wiring harness for those items.
Rock plain radio system.

Shortly after I got the Jeep, I found the next higher version OEM radio on offer up and got it for $25.
am/fm/cd but has the buttons for unconnect, phone connect, etc.
Nice little upgrade, display was better (more info).

First Challenge:
Thought right rear speaker was going bad (pop and crackle under hard bass).
Picked up some Kicker 43CSC654 speakers and sound mats from Crutchfield for both front and rear.
Installed rear speakers only so far.
Different sound for sure, better? Not sure at all. Had to really turn down the mids (-4) and treble (-6) to not sound like tin soup cans. I realize until I get the fronts install their might be some difference in the loads, etc..but still-not sure they sound better yet.
Play most music from iPhone through AUX jack. Noticed today the rear speakers still crackle depending on the song (and volume of course). Now wondering if the rear speakers were really bad or just the iphone over powers the input or the aux connection itself causes the problem.
Goal is to be able to hear speakers with top off while cruising to work on interstate (with decent high, mids, and lows). Any thoughts on these Kickers or the sound issue with the iphone/aux connection?

Second Challenge:
Really would like to get a MyGig OEM radio to install.
Not really interest in the Nav ability, but definitely want BT to be able to stream iTunes from my iPhone.
Prefer the LCD because of the typical display issue with the other radios (as soon as parking lights/ headlights on the display is so dim it can't be seen unless you are in pitch black darkness).

Here is were some of the info in the forums get really confusing.
As I think I understand it, if I get a 430 RBZ or RHB I would have to get the extra modules and harnesses for BT (and they cost almost more than the radios).
However, if I get a REN, it has BT and unconnect built in and I would not need to get the extra modules and harnesses, but the BT and unconnect will not work?
Which is correct and which is the best way to go? Trying to not spend tons on extra modules and harnesses I might not need or will not work.
Goal, better display and ability to BT stream music from iPhone.
I think I can get new OEM RBZ/RB2 MyGig (30G hdd) (p/n P05091179) from a dealer that pulls them for Nav unit upgrades.

Third Challenge:
Will either of those radios (RBZ, RHB, REN) sound good with the Kickers and stock tweeters without an AMP or separate bass? If I need the amp is it best to stick to the OEM?
Goal decent sound without cracking the piggy bank, got better Jeep mods to spend the money on

Final Challenge:
If I have to get the extra modules for BT / uconnect because of the radio I must get, is it possible to get them separate? I have only seen kits on ebay and some online radio shops that sell the modules and harnesses as a kit for $350+

phew..sorry so long and so many questions. Figured it would be best in one thread than multiples that might cross over.

Cheers!

Last edited by Mango JK; 06-07-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.....all the responses...

Finished installing all 4 Kicker Speakers.
Have to say, blah..not very impressed. The stock speakers had better bass.

This thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...5/#post3306895 is what I referred to in my original post.
If I get the RER/RHR I will not need any extra modules for BT to stream from my phone?

Last edited by Mango JK; 06-10-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You might think about just getting the modules for your current radio and the iPhone interface module. This will give you Bluetooth and a better wired connection (better than BT and better than AUX jack) for less $$ and less effort than a radio changeout. Then look at a sub and amp (which you will need with any of the touch screen options anyway).
Old 06-11-2017, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mango JK
Well.....all the responses...

Finished installing all 4 Kicker Speakers.
Have to say, blah..not very impressed. The stock speakers had better bass.

This thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...5/#post3306895 is what I referred to in my original post.
If I get the RER/RHR I will not need any extra modules for BT to stream from my phone?

Sorry mate, been busy this weekend. OK, for what I remember a couple options.

1.) MyGig 430RBZ

From what I remember this does have the bluetooth module built in, but you'll need to buy the mic separately. You have a couple options on that, one being just a corded mic that you can stick on the dash, the other being the factory upper A pillar trim that has the mic built in. I happen to have a spare one of those in black/grey if you're interested. To turn the bluetooth on you'll access the factory menu on the head unit and enable it. The downside to this path is no Nav and you won't have any video inputs without using something like a Lockpick module.

2.) MyGig 430REN

Same as the above only this time you'll have nav. You'll also need the navigation antenna if you go this route.

3.) Aftermarket (AVH-4200NEX Pioneer)

Honestly, the best option in my and many others opinions is to completely replace the OEM radio with something like a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. This will come with a much better bluetooth interface than the factory uConnect, will do Apple Car Play or Android Auto via USB, and you can stream to it from any bluetooth device. This will let you use a full sized touch screen display with nav software from your phone so you won't have to worry about map updates.

With all of the above options you're probably looking at between $400-$550 for the new head unit.

Quick Reply: OEM Radio upgrade questions