Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2008 guys with Mygig and Manuals Tranny- I need your help!

Old 01-10-2008, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 guys with Mygig and Manuals Tranny- I need your help!

SO, how many of you guys out there have 2008 JKs with Manual trannies and Mygig that are able to get DVD video? My local stealership states that all 2008 JKs with manual transmissions had the DVD disabled.

Here's what they tell me...
Okay, I was able to dig up some more info on the '08 mygig situation. Turns out that Jeep has totally disabled video playback in ALL '08 Wranglers with Manual transmissions!!! someone figured out a way to bypass the lockouts very easily, so instead of coming up with a new method, they just killed it for everyone....

I KNOW there are 08's out there with DVD playback capability... help a guy out and get me a headcount! I want to prove that they are wrong.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:23 PM
JK Junkie

I'd like to know as well, mine was disabled. Last I saw, Chrysler was working on a fix, but who knows what that meant. If this is true that it was intentionally disabled, I may see what recourse I can have as this was one of the reasons I purchased it and it clearly stats is a feature of it.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:52 AM
JK Newbie

Ok, a thread was started on this topic back in October when some of us started receiving the first 2008 JK's out of Toledo.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/mygig-dvd-playback-manual-transmission-18118/

The DVD player on all 2008 models with MyGIG w/ manual transmission do not work because of an issue between the Mygig and the Cluster CAN bus not recognizing that E-break is applied. Supposedly a software patch from Harmon Kardan is in the works from to correct this problem but as far as I know it has not been released yet.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dsktopflyr
The DVD player on all 2008 models with MyGIG w/ manual transmission do not work because of an issue between the Mygig and the Cluster CAN bus not recognizing that E-break is applied. Supposedly a software patch from Harmon Kardan is in the works from to correct this problem but as far as I know it has not been released yet.
This is my understanding also. My DVD didn't play either in my '08 standard trans MyGig, and my dealer was unaware both of the problem and any intentional disabling of it. The service tech spent 2 hours trying to get it to play without success. I finally did get it to play video, but only with an aftermarket unit that unlocks the video.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

So, which is it? Is it a Jeep/software/e-brake problem, or did Jeep kill the DVD playback from the factory? I am hearing two completely different stories. If Jeep killed it purposely, and didn't bother to tell people, then I wasted $1300 bucks on a unit that doesn't perform as Jeep advertised. That's misleading the customer, and is a load of BS when I had to wait 6+ months for a "sold-order" vehicle"...

Scouter, I hear you on the "recourse" thing... I may see what Jeep will do since they screwed me out of what they told me I was buying...

It seems I might have cut my wait by not ordering a MyGig, and spent the money on an aftermarket unit that works as advertised, or some other mods for my Jeep. For them to tell us that the MyGig can do "Blah-blah-blah-DVD-in park-blah-blah" and not deliver is deceitful in my eyes...
Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up Updates

According to my dealer, Chrysler is aware of the issue and the good news is that the software patch will be available to all the dealers by the end of this month.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gloworm19
So, which is it? Is it a Jeep/software/e-brake problem, or did Jeep kill the DVD playback from the factory? I am hearing two completely different stories. If Jeep killed it purposely, and didn't bother to tell people, then I wasted $1300 bucks on a unit that doesn't perform as Jeep advertised. That's misleading the customer, and is a load of BS when I had to wait 6+ months for a "sold-order" vehicle"...

Scouter, I hear you on the "recourse" thing... I may see what Jeep will do since they screwed me out of what they told me I was buying...

It seems I might have cut my wait by not ordering a MyGig, and spent the money on an aftermarket unit that works as advertised, or some other mods for my Jeep. For them to tell us that the MyGig can do "Blah-blah-blah-DVD-in park-blah-blah" and not deliver is deceitful in my eyes...
Time for your valium?

It's just a software bug... relax. They will fix it, as many have already shared, in a matter of time.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

This a quote from my service guy at the local dealership. Read it and try to understand why I am upset.

Quoted from an email received after having Jeep try to enable the DVD two weeks ago, to no avail. They said the option to enable it didn't even appear when hooked up to the Starscan. This was after they spent two hours trying to enable it.

Service guy: "Okay, I was able to dig up some more info on the '08 mygig situation. Turns out that Jeep has totally disabled video playback in ALL '08 Wranglers with Manual transmissions!!! someone figured out a way to bypass the lockouts very easily, so instead of coming up with a new method, they just killed it for everyone...."

So, either someone is not being truthful, or someone is out of the loop as to what the real issue is. Either way, I just want it to do what it's supposed to do. No more, no less. You don't think a customer has a right to receive a product that works as described? Valium, shcmalium. I want what I paid for. it's that simple.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I actually got my information from the maker of MyGig (Harman Becker) and they told me that the software patch will be available to all dealer by the end of this month. So when I called my dealer, they gave me the very same information, so I think it's pretty much true then...
Old 01-13-2008, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

I hadn't even tried to watch a DVD on mine. You'll have to pardon me but I watch movies when I'm home...bored or too tired to do anything else. When I'm in my jeep or the places it takes me...watching a movie is not on my mind.

Quick Reply: 2008 guys with Mygig and Manuals Tranny- I need your help!