Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2008 guys with Mygig and Manuals Tranny- I need your help!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gloworm19
This a quote from my service guy at the local dealership. Read it and try to understand why I am upset.

Quoted from an email received after having Jeep try to enable the DVD two weeks ago, to no avail. They said the option to enable it didn't even appear when hooked up to the Starscan. This was after they spent two hours trying to enable it.

Service guy: "Okay, I was able to dig up some more info on the '08 mygig situation. Turns out that Jeep has totally disabled video playback in ALL '08 Wranglers with Manual transmissions!!! someone figured out a way to bypass the lockouts very easily, so instead of coming up with a new method, they just killed it for everyone...."

So, either someone is not being truthful, or someone is out of the loop as to what the real issue is. Either way, I just want it to do what it's supposed to do. No more, no less. You don't think a customer has a right to receive a product that works as described? Valium, shcmalium. I want what I paid for. it's that simple.
hey worm, long time no see, i'm still in the waiting room. what i read about the video was that jeep did disable it. has to do with state laws about videos playing in the front while driving. also read that in order to view a dvd in a manual tranny, it must be in gear, emergency brake on and key off. for the auto it must be in park and the key off. harmon/becker is coming out with a patch. but there is also navtv.com. expensive. jeep also disabled the unconnect and the voice recognition. i feel the same way you do. when i ordered my rubicon, the salesman was telling me how great the mygig was. never told me about the disabled stuff. i found a company on the net called Americus Technology that has an inexpensive fix for the voice recognition and unconnect for $86.00. it includes mic connection and software update disk.

later
Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey, Cajun... hope the wait isn't drving you too crazy. Stay the course, my friend. It's worth it...

The DVD thing? Well, I tried it with the brake on in gear, brake on out of gear, brake off in gear, nothing worked. Why Jeep would completely disable the option and not bother to let people know? Well, that is beyond me. And why only in the manual tranny?

Before I get told to go "take some Valium" again, let me just say that I believe in getting what one pays for... not a big fan of being taken advantage of. Is DVD a necessity? No, but I did pay for it, and deserve what I paid for. Maybe to some it's not a big deal, but I paid an honest buck for my vehicle, and don't like the fact that I didn't get what I paid for. I decided to buy the unit based on it's capability, and it does not perform the way it was advertised. Maybe some people are cool with being cheated... I am not. And when you recieve something that doesn't do what it is supposed to do, that's exactly what you've been... cheated.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08JK
I actually got my information from the maker of MyGig (Harman Becker) and they told me that the software patch will be available to all dealer by the end of this month. So when I called my dealer, they gave me the very same information, so I think it's pretty much true then...
Thanks for the info. Please keep us up to date
Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 PM
JK Super Freak

When I originally talked to my service department I had already read that an upgrade was due out in January, this was in December. They wanted to take the Jeep apart and try different things. I told the guy no way, I'll figure it out myself. The service adviser at my dealership is a moron. I bought the Allgig and it works fine. There's another interesting product... the MyGig lockpick. Both of these products are discussed withn a few threads on this board.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

Mine is also DOA... I get sound, but no video!
Old 01-28-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteelMastiff
Mine is also DOA... I get sound, but no video!
That's not DOA, that's exactly the way this software bug exists. The more I think about this, I anticipate that this was probably classified as a defect with a severity level of 2 or 3... i.e. they know about it, and will fix it, but it's not enough to be considered a show stopper in production. To me, it's not a big deal, when they fix it... they fix it.

-t
Old 02-01-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2dr rubi on order. D1 now but was held up for a week & 1/2 for MyGig update.
Hmmmm, ????
Old 02-02-2008, 02:22 AM
JK Newbie

I had my '08 six speed serviced for the speaker pop and crackle problem and asked the service department if the problem with DVD video playback had been resolved. He said that it is still in the works. Anyone have the scoop on when that might happen?
Old 02-03-2008, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tried this yesterday as well and no luck with our 08 Red RubyJeep. Going to call our dealer and also our friend/Jeep tech guy tomorrow.

Kat
Old 02-11-2008, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Updates

Just checked with the dealer on the software patch, according to them, they were supposed to get a DVD from Chrysler this month to fix this problem. Still nothing yet, so I was told to call back 2 weeks later...

Quick Reply: 2008 guys with Mygig and Manuals Tranny- I need your help!