Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2008 Mopar Remote Start Kit

Old 03-03-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Appreciate the detailed response
Originally Posted by davidwm71
Just buy a remote starter designed for use with a manual transmission.

One company making them is compustar, I'm sure there are others.

A quick description of how it works:

Push button on remote before shutting engine.
Turn key off and engine remains running.
Get out of Jeep and close door.
Push button on remote...doors lock and engine shuts off.

Obviously the Jeep is not in gear because it it were you wouldn't be able to get out while it's running and close the door. If a door is opened the remote start will not work. If someone somehow puts it in gear without opening the door the Jeep will lunge if the autostart is used. The only way this can happen is (1) someone is in the Jeep when you set the alarm ( and still in there when you try to use the remote start because they can't open the door to get out). (2) You left your window down or top down and someone reached in there ( if your top or window is down it is warm enough that you don't need remote start ). (3) someone broke into your Jeep through the top or window without opening your door and put it in gear.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Larrysdad
Appreciate the detailed response
I just talked to my friend who does remote starts for dealerships. He is going to do mine and also make it so when I arm it with the remote the windows go up automatically if they are down. He's going to get me the parts and do the install... I have to buy him a part for his S10 v8 conversion... so it will cost me $300. If I pay him cash his wife will take it.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the compustar remote starter on my manual transmission and it works great . It will not arm if you leave it in gear so it is safe. davidwm71's description is right on the money.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good info here! I am awaiting the delivery to the dealer of the remote start kit for my new Rubi. It will be nice to have it when the snow hits the mountains (next weekend, I hope). I will feedback my experience.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, I had it installed today. Seems to work great. And as was said earlier, it has expanded my remote lock/unlock range. I did notice that now my original keys will not lock/unlock my jeep. They seem to work in the ignition, but I get a constant red dot light on the dash. It is a sentry system alert. I am guessing the I will have to reprogram them to the new module if I want to be able to use them as backups.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Just installed my Mopar remote start...works great. My old keys still unlock/lock just fine. Dealer also stopped the headlights from turning on and off when locking/unlocking, only the parking lights flash. When the remote start is activated, the parking lights come on.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Gus
JK Newbie

Default Just ordered parts today ... Remote start 08 Rubi

Just ordered my parts kit for the remote start on my 08 Rubi - P/N: 82211437-AC

thx for the installatin manual, just need a copy of the service manual for the antenna install and WCM install/de-install.

Paid $204 for the parts kit and dealer will charge $90 for the programming.

Do I have to remove/install the WCM at the dealer or can that be done ahead of time?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gus
Just ordered my parts kit for the remote start on my 08 Rubi - P/N: 82211437-AC

thx for the installatin manual, just need a copy of the service manual for the antenna install and WCM install/de-install.

Paid $204 for the parts kit and dealer will charge $90 for the programming.

Do I have to remove/install the WCM at the dealer or can that be done ahead of time?
The WCM has to be replaced at the dealer. Your computer won't recognize it until updated by Starscan. I learned the hard way. Installed everything and got ready to drive to the dealer but the Jeep would start then die a second later leaving the alarm light on solid.

You can install the antenna, hood switch, and even have a locksmith cut the keys. But let the dealer install the WCM. Oh and take all the keys that you want programed! Your old keys must be matched to the new WCM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Mopar Remote Start Kit