Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2008 Mopar Remote Start Kit

Old 06-15-2007, 03:17 PM
mt3
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Mopar Remote Start Kit

is this something that is possible? how do people feel about remote starter on maunal transmissions?

any advice?
Old 06-15-2007, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mt3
is this something that is possible? how do people feel about remote starter on maunal transmissions?

any advice?
I can think of 6 friends that have remote start on their vehicles with manual transmissions. 3 have had not problems. 1 jumped his Mustang over a curb and into a wall at a convenience store and 1 jumped his Z28 over an 8 inch curb and into a ditch in a parking lot. 1 hit another car in the parking lot of Wal-Mart when it started. In my mind that works out to at least 50% of the people having bad luck... ie forgot to take it out of gear.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you do it right, it shouldnt be any problem. You should really install a neutral switch and an e-brake switch. This way it wont start unless the car is in neutral AND the ebrake is engaged. It can be tricky to set up.

Even then though, you have to put your trust in electronics....I drive a VW....they arent that trustworthy.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

You'll have to bypas the clutch switch. On my old car, what I did was just take it out and connet the neg and pos together so it always had the connection. I didn't even have to press the clutch to start the vehicle.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

A friend of mine did it to his TJ. One day he started it and it broke thru the wall of his garage pinning several people that were wrneching against a wall. Thankfully, no one was injured.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah a lot of car audio/security shops will not even do remote starts on manual vehicles simply for that fact. They dont want their name on something when things like that happen.

Basically, if you trust your own work, and trust the electronics, and do it right, meaning all the above mentioned switches and bypasses, it can be safe, but I would never call it 100%. Its like a condom.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:08 AM
JK Junkie

Default bah

I have had a RS on my manual tranny vehicle for the last 5 years. Never had a problem. With my current one, it is a Command Start brand two way, it wont even attempt to start unless guidelines have been met:
1. E brake on
2. out of gear
3. Doors haven't been opened since setting. And by setting I mean, when you want to use the starter you have do all of the above, then hit the "start" button, watch for the blinking lights, then take your keys out of the ignition. The veh will run until you open your door, then shut itself down. You get out and close the door and it is "set"

It is a pain in the ass if you need something out of your veh before you actually want to start it, but you learn to deal with it.

I plan on installing one on my manual JK as soon as I get it also.
TH
Old 06-17-2007, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be done (see above) as long as you have COMMON sense you will be fine. It never hurts to have a safety switch.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 2008 Mopar Remote Start Kit

Did anyone ever do this with their 07 or 08 jk?
This has potential for my jeep, and just wondering if anyone has done it yet....
Yes, i know it might be a bad idea, but I think i have the common sense.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Not sure if it has been done yet, but maybe these threads will help.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ghlight=REMOTE

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ghlight=REMOTE

Quick Reply: 2008 Mopar Remote Start Kit