Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2008 MyGig - Enabling UConnect and Installing Mic

Old 11-20-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 MyGig - Enabling UConnect and Installing Mic

When I purchased my 2008 Rubicon Unlimited (two weeks ago) I was pleased to see that it came with a Bluetooth option. I didn't even think of testing it - why would the phone button be there if it didn't work!?! Anyhow, after I bought it I brought it home and started to configure my Bluetooth.

UConnect Not Available.

WHAT!?!?! No Bluetooth?!?! I was EXTREMELY bummed out especially since I rack up about 3600 minutes of phone time a month because of my job. My iPhone 4 is a major business tool for me, and not having hands-free on a 2008 car with a fancy Navigation unit was sort of shocking to me.

In the end I'm sort of glad it didn't have it, because that is what led me to this site. ;-)

Anyhow, below is what I did to enable the UConnect and install the Mic.

First, you will need to order this part from your Jeep dealer:

Mic and Mic Harness Kit = Part# 82211743AB

The Mic Harness plugs into the My Gig and the Mic plugs into the Mic Harness.

All together it cost you about $40 bucks.

Directions:

1. You need to "enable" the bluetooth on your MyGig. Press the Menu, Seek Up, and Seek Down buttons at the same time while the unit is powered on. You will see this message:

2. Scroll down to where you see "Enable JK VR/HFM"

3. Once you are done, click the arrow in the top left and you will now notice that when you press the UConnect button you actually get a voice prompt and the "UConnect Not Available" no longer appears.

4. You need to install a mic. Please note the parts above are what I used, and it made the project nice and easy.

5. Here is a pic of where I mounted my mic.

6. Close up of mic.

7. You need to remove the MyGig so that you can access the back of the unit. The harness plugs right in the back middle-bottom section. I went to YouTube and watched this Lockpick video that shows how to remove the MyGig. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmc9j_z4kLg
*Please note that I did not use a screw driver like the guy in the video. For the most part I used just my hands so I didn't mess up the plastics.

8. Here is how I ran the wiring from the mic to the MyGig.

That was about it. I was a little concerned about the mic placement but everyone I've talked to has said I sound crystal clear, even with the hardtop on going 70 MPH on the freeway.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future who is looking to enable their UConnect bluetooth option.

Last edited by sanjosebass; 12-08-2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: To include paet number for combo mic/harness kit.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of ordering the mic and harness separately, you could have ordered them as a kit using part number 82211743AB .........and saved yourself about $35
Old 11-20-2010, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OoPEZoO
Instead of ordering the mic and harness separately, you could have ordered them as a kit using part number 82211743AB .........and saved yourself about $35
Now you tell me.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Another easy place to put the mic is in the left roll bar using a dremal, it works with the top off too.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Castalone
Another easy place to put the mic is in the left roll bar using a dremal, it works with the top off too.
How has the roll bar placement of the mic been so far... Are you happy is it still in the roll bar? Thanks im thinking of going this route.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

I put mine in the rollbar padding as well. I think it works great. I've probably made/recieved 12-13 phone calls since I set it up and no one even knows I'm talking through the Uconnect unless I told them. Most of those calls were going on while rolling down the highway on 32" MT's at 65-70mph with a soft top. I have absolutely zero complaints
Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for taking the time to post this thread.

I happened across it by luck, and now I'm installing it tonight.

6MT + trying to talk on the cell + poor iphone speaker phone can all kiss my whole a$$.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Does this only work for the Mygig? I have the buttons on my 2007 Unlimited Sahara's single disc... wondering if it will work on that too...
Old 01-25-2011, 03:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Did the install in less than 15 min last night. That YouTube vid on the the MyGig removal was perfect. I can not believe I did not do this the day I brought her home.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default no seek up/down buttons

I dont have the seek up and down buttons, I have a 2011?? How do I work that?

Quick Reply: 2008 MyGig - Enabling UConnect and Installing Mic