Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2011 Easy Bulb Replacement

Old 12-01-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CbtEngr
Like what's been already said..If you don' t want to blind others then aiming correctly is the key. I have the e-codes and I have yet to be flashed because they blinded someone.
I am about to order the Hella E-Codes from Susquehanna (the Jeep kit). Is that what you bought?
Old 12-01-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup with the SM6024JG - 100/80W Hella Premium Xenon Blue bulbs....really stout harness that comes with it too. You'll definitely notice a difference. Let me know if you have any questions when you go to install them.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the write up! Wasn't too sure how to install h16 bulbs until now
Old 12-02-2011, 03:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CbtEngr
Yup with the SM6024JG - 100/80W Hella Premium Xenon Blue bulbs....really stout harness that comes with it too. You'll definitely notice a difference. Let me know if you have any questions when you go to install them.
Wow, I am surprised that you haven't had any problems with oncoming traffic. Typically blue lights blind them. Obviously those E-Codes are doing a really good job of directing all the light exactly where it is supposed to be.

Originally Posted by QuickSack
Thanks for the write up! Wasn't too sure how to install h16 bulbs until now
Yea, I have been putting off doing this mod, due to not wanting to spend the money and then have to throw away the bulbs because it was so dificult that I screwed something up. It was so easy and total, it cost just under $40 (including the cheap-o "dremel"). Really glad I did it.

Originally Posted by Hiker
This helps very much, thanks!
Glad to help. Maybe this can make it into the "low cost mod" posting.

On a side note, I will get a few night pics posted this weekend. I wish I had done some before and afters. Oh well, after is all I can do.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the Susqehanna kit as well. My girlfriend's Jeep has the IPF kit. The IPFs do have a better light pattern but is nowhere near as bright as the susquehanna kit due to the harness. I think if you matched up the susquehanna harness with IPF lens, you would have a winner!
I wanted more power, so I dropped in HIDs in my Susquehanna kit as I live in the sticks and nobody to glare to.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

IcyFridge, when you say the IPF's have a better pattern. How do you mean? I understand that the E-codes have a distinct cut off so they don't blind oncoming traffic. How do the IPF's do it differently? I haven't ordered the E-codes yet and want to make sure I am ordering exactly what I want. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hiker
I should have asked this before, but why did you choose the "Jet Yellow" over the "Spark White"?

The only experience I have with any fog light is on this JK. Odd, since I'm kind of an old man....

Hence, my white vs yellow question. Is it due to the yellow doing better in actual fog? I know that's the principle of amber fogs. Just curious.
Hiker - Great question. I do know that the yellow works better in fog, rain and even snow and that was part of my justification. About a month ago I was heading south on I-95 and saw a JK with yellow fogs and REALLY liked the look. So, the other part of my decision was purely, looks. I really liked the way it looked. Once you see it in person, you either really like it or really don't. Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Evo35
Driving in the DC metro I drive with my lights on at all times (the drivers around here suck). I have never had anyone flash me due to my lights being too bright. I actually believe that I need to adjust my fogs up a little. So, yes they are brighter, but, they are still aimed, unlike if you were to put an HID into the old housing. I am not a fan of those that drive around with their fogs angled up blinding everyone else. Therefore, I am always aware of any mods I do to my lights. In fact, my next light mod will be the Hella e-code head lights with a new wiring harness. They are MUCH brighter than stock but, they have a very distinct cutoff and don't blind oncoming traffic. Hope this helps.

Well said! The original plastic lenses went bad after only two years!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	BumperInst-003.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	289594
Old 03-16-2012, 12:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by eumel789
Well said! The original plastic lenses went bad after only two years!!!
Attachment 289594
I wish mine lasted two years...

My driver side has already glazed over. I was pretty mad when I noticed it. My rig isn't even a year old. Anyways, enough whining. I recently ordered a pair of LED fogs (found on ebay for about $60) that will fit. I am waiting on a new power distribution panel which I will be getting probably in a month and then install them. I am considering putting them in just to see if they work on the original wiring. Not sure yet.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

I heard that in 2010 that they switched from the 50w bulb to the new 25w bulb that costs around $50 from you local friendly dealership. I also heard that if a bulb with a different watt rating is used on the can-bus system, that it recognizes a fault and you get a message/check engine light on the dash. Have you guys had any problems using these 35w bulbs on the JK Can-bus system using the stock harness/wiring? I have a 2010 and am just wondering if this will cause me any issues.

Quick Reply: 2011 Easy Bulb Replacement